The Journey Begins: Writing to God {Your Invitation}

It’s another snowy Sunday here on the coast of Little Rhody and our church was cancelled for the second week in a row. What’s a girl to do but keep the cocoa, coffee and tea hot, bird-feeder full, and fridge stocked up with bread, milk and eggs, right? Naturally there is plenty of time to curl up and read my Bible, write up a storm and enjoy the beautiful snowy scenery. No worries, Spring will come soon enough. Meanwhile we can fatten up our souls and enjoy what God gives daily, whether snow, sleet, sunshine or rain.
The beginning of February, I asked you all if you would join me in a journey here when I put out a call for A Few Good Women…and a number of you heeded that call. Writing to God and Holey, Wholly, Holy (A Lenten Journey of Refinement) by Kris Camealy were the two top picks with Writing to God winning out by one vote. My blogging sister Nikki at Simply Striving is journeying through Kris Camealy’s book for those of you who have your heart set on using that book for this season. I have read the book and know it will bless you as you ponder the thoughts, scripture and prose shared by Kris and Nikki.
Beginning this Wednesday I would like to extend an invitation to you, dear friend, to join me for this journey.

Will you grab a pen and come along as we partner together “Writing to God- 40 Days of Praying With My Pen”?
We will also be using the additional Psalm Sunday through Easter Sunday section which will give us 47 Days total.
7 Wednesdays of community, writing and sharing Starting February 20th and going through April 3rd. Join me as we journey through Lent and beyond with our pens discovering the greatness of God and the stillness we long for through the practice of penning our prayers.
 If you plan to join in, leave a comment. Feel free to contact me with any questions.
Please feel free to join in at anytime…
I will see you here on Wednesday, in the meantime links to purchase the book are at the bottom of this post!
About the Book From the Publishers Page:
If you love to write, or if you need to spark your creativity, this book is for you.
Writing to God offers forty insightful days of prayer and personal reflection. With poems and thoughts to prompt your own prayers, Writing to God will inspire you when you feel dry, help you voice your deepest complaints and greatest joys, and surprise you with fresh perspectives on God.
When verbal prayers feel stale, or you simply want to try something fresh, open this inviting guide and pray wherever the pen leads!
• Includes a special section of prayers and prompts for Holy Week and Easter.
• Includes some surprising prayers: Caffeine, A Lover’s Psalm, Recycling: A Prayer for Salvation, Feeling a Prayer, Traveling, On “Good Friday” Kind of Days, and many more!
“Praying by writing takes a prayer out of my head and makes praying a whole-body exercise: my creativity is sparked, my spirit fully focused, my muscles employed, my sense of touch and awareness of breath heightened. I felt more connected to prayer than I had ever experienced before.” –Rachel Hackenberg
Writing to God has a Facebook Page
 Link for Paraclete Press.
Writing to God – 40 Days of Praying With My Pen is available at Amazon, Christian Book Distributors
and bookstores everywhere. Also available for quick download as Kindle and eBook.

The author graciously sent me a copy of this book upon my request.
Thank you, Rachel!

*******************************************

All Posts Listed Here (once published):

Week 1 (Welcome & Introduction)
Week 2
Week 3
Week 4
Week 5
Week 6
Week 7
Wrap Up w/Rachel Hackenberg

***My Review of Writing to God***

*******************************************

1. Stacy
    Feb 17, 2013 @ 17:58:10

I just downloaded it on my Nook. 🙂

2. Dawn Paoletta
    Feb 17, 2013 @ 18:03:29

Oh my! I am so excited that you will be doing this, Stacy! I am so glad, as we will journey together and just walk the road. Like the Emmaus Road…we will just let God open our eyes! Hooray! You made my Sunday! 😉 We can do this…together.

3. Rachel Hackenberg
    Feb 17, 2013 @ 19:09:27

Lovely, Dawn! Thank you for leading a group on the “Writing to God” journey through Lent!

4. Kathryn Ross
    Feb 17, 2013 @ 19:44:23

Wow – this looks great, Dawn! Can't put it on my agenda, but I actually do have a journal by me “sanctuary spot” that I keep for just such a thing. I have about three or four that are for specific things. Lately, my quiet times have born the play I just finished co-writing with our assistant pastor (producer) and I will begin direction of the drama in March – casting next week. It's our first show in two years – we've been moving into a new facility with lots of construction. Time to get back on track with our drama ministry! You'll actually be able to see the show because we stream live on the internet – getting thousands of hits all over the world as ministry to missionaries! The premise of the play – Psalm 23 in an art gallery – the culmination of the past two years of God working grace and humility in deep places. My son and his family driving down here TODAY through the snow and wind – left around lunch – we have some wind – but blue skies, sunshine, and no snow!! Snugging my grand-baby tonight!!!Joy!Kathy

5. Kel Rohlf
    Feb 17, 2013 @ 20:20:45

Dawn- I saw this book on Amazon, and was intrigued, so I bought it for my Lenten devotions…how cool that you are inviting the community to discuss it here on Wednesdays. Count me in…I am amazed how God has been weaving our paths along similar veins. I am also reading Love Letters to God: Deeper Intimacy through Prayer by Lynn D. Morrissey, as I mentioned over at Nourishment for the Soul 🙂 Looking forward to the journey! Be back later. Kel

6. Dawn Paoletta
    Feb 17, 2013 @ 20:25:06

Oh, Kel- that is great! I put the Love Letters to God in my basket at Amazon, I am sure I owned it at one time but think it either got lost or was borrowed without return…anyway- Blessed that you will be joining in- you always bless me and I love the way we often have similar thoughts emerging!

7. Dawn Paoletta
    Feb 17, 2013 @ 20:26:32

Thank you, Rachel- hope you will pop in and check on us during our journey! Can't wait to start!

8. Dawn Paoletta
    Feb 17, 2013 @ 20:27:49

Miss Kathy, you are such an inspiration! Please keep me updated about the drama- sounds wonderful! Enjoy your family time! Love and Hugs, Dawn

9. Tammy
    Feb 17, 2013 @ 23:04:58

Just ordered it today. 🙂 Thanks, Dawn.

10. Dawn Paoletta
    Feb 17, 2013 @ 23:48:01

Tammy, I look forward to your presence and portion during the journey!

Feb 18, 2013 @ 00:17:22

Looking forward to joining you on this journey, love you.

12. Ren
    Feb 18, 2013 @ 00:23:51

Yaaay

13. Mystic_Mom
    Feb 18, 2013 @ 01:13:09

I would love to be on this journey with you…should I get the book or will you be giving us prompts?

14. Stacy
    Feb 18, 2013 @ 02:31:35

I'm excited, Dawn! I write a lot of my prayers out, anyway. It helps my ADD addled brain zero in and stay on task. I know God, having created my mind, understands the way it wanders and works in fits and starts, but it makes ME feel like I'm more connected. It's going to be interesting to have a guide and prompts for a while. 🙂

15. Dawn Paoletta
    Feb 18, 2013 @ 04:13:52

Hi Shanyn, I would get the book if possible- My plan for this particular online group will be to post Wednesday with the upcoming weeks reading/writing exercises (which are in the book). I may use some of the thoughts Rachel shares from the Group Guide as well as my own thoughts, comments based on the weeks writing. I will invite everyone to share, participate, comment on Wednesday about the prior week's writing as they see fit and comfortable. Do you think you can squeeze this in, my friend? Would love it if you join but understand that you are busy (and amazing!). Hope this helps. Wednesday's post will clarify further. God willing! lol. First time trying this so hoping it goes smoothly!

16. Dawn Paoletta
    Feb 18, 2013 @ 04:15:00

Grateful for you Ren! Hope you will be be your sassy, sweet self here every Wednesday, my friend!

17. Dawn Paoletta
    Feb 18, 2013 @ 04:15:25

Happy to have you, Denise.

18. Dawn Paoletta
    Feb 18, 2013 @ 05:27:15

I am so with you, Stacy! I am glad there are a few joining in as I struggle myself with prompts so yes, it should be interesting! And you already know my thoughts on the ADD, sister! Same here- we are on the same page…literally!

19. Nancy Claeys
    Feb 18, 2013 @ 10:41:03

We're expecting a snow storm later this week. Hopefully, it will be the last blast of winter before spring. 🙂

20. Dawn Paoletta
    Feb 18, 2013 @ 13:03:48

Nancy, I love the snow! Thanks for dropping dropping in! I look forward to seeing your pictures. 🙂

21. melissac
    Feb 18, 2013 @ 13:39:03

Hi Dawn – I am in!! I too find myself more focused when writing my prayers. Not to mention there was a time I dreamt of being a writer. I am going to download the book to my iPad. Now I need to decide do I get a journal and handwrite or use my stylus and journaling program in my iPad. I am so excited to get started!! 🙂

22. Dawn Paoletta
    Feb 18, 2013 @ 13:45:16

Wonderful! Well,I know whatever way you choose God will use! So glad you are “IN”! Wednesday is the official start date but I think everyone is itching to get on this journey! As God leads go! See you Wednesday – Post will be live at 12 AM Wednesday (Eastern. Hooray!

23. Marie
    Feb 18, 2013 @ 19:02:59

Hopping here from Inspire Me Monday. I was delighted to find another blogger who writes their prayers. I have been doing this for years as a way to stay totally focused on my One and Only during my personal prayer time. What an encouragement and blessing to find and follow you! Blessings to you and yours. Marie @ http://asatisfiedspirit.com

24. Jean Wise
    Feb 19, 2013 @ 11:17:18

I pulled this book from my shelf and am excited to join you!

25. Dawn Paoletta
    Feb 19, 2013 @ 11:33:51

Jean, I am so excited that you will be joining in! Look forward to your portion on Wednesdays and thanks for jumping in!

26. Dawn Paoletta
    Feb 19, 2013 @ 11:34:47

Marie, so nice to meet you, will be popping over to visit and follow back!

27. MrsP
    Feb 19, 2013 @ 12:47:55

we can fatten up our souls and enjoy what God gives daily, whether snow, sleet, sunshine or rain.We live in a place where church was cancelled twice for storms, too, and I so like your image of fattening souls. Yes…plumped and full of the Word. So nice. Thank you.

28. Mystic_Mom
    Feb 19, 2013 @ 17:55:06

I will do the prompts with you, not sure I have time to put another book on my reading list. I would love to do this writing with you though. If you can keep me posted on FB I'd appreciate that girl. Love ya.

29. Jen
    Feb 19, 2013 @ 18:01:48

What a sweet experience to engage in a God journey of writing to Him. I am sure lives will be changed as many pour out through the pen, their hearts to God. Thanks for UNITING, Jen

30. Dawn Paoletta
    Feb 20, 2013 @ 16:38:10

Shanyn,Please feel free to drop in- I will probably post a prompt on the week after Welcome/Intro – to encourage community conversation. Thanks for always being a positive support my friend!

31. The Paper Princess
    Feb 24, 2013 @ 11:40:34

This book sounds awesome Dawn! Thanks for sharing it with us at Inspire Me Monday atCreate With Joyhttp://create-with-joy.com