This One Thing I Do (Whispers of Hope – Week 5)

WP_20140308_08_54_13_Pro

“Our faith must rest on God’s identity, not His activity.” ~Beth Moore

We are on a journey of PRAISING the One True Living God. We have been using Beth Moore’s Whispers of Hope book as a guide along this time of drawing near to God. We connect weekly here on the blog with a quick check in, regardless of how faithful we have been.

” I’m not saying that I have this all together, that I have it made. But I am well on my way, reaching out for Christ, who has so wondrously reached out for me. Friends, don’t get me wrong: By no means do I count myself an expert in all of this, but I’ve got my eye on the goal, where God is beckoning us onward—to Jesus. I’m off and running, and I’m not turning back. So let’s keep focused on that goal, those of us who want everything God has for us. If any of you have something else in mind, something less than total commitment, God will clear your blurred vision—you’ll see it yet! Now that we’re on the right track, let’s stay on it. Stick with me, friends. Keep track of those you see running this same course, headed for this same goal. ” Philippians 3:12-17

~The Message

We are on a journey together, and like our Christian journey, it is one of practicing showing up, just as we are. No pretense. None of has this unseen life down to a format, or science. How could we? We serve an Omniscient,  Omnipresent, Omnipotent God. A lot of big words and names which tell us, He is bigger, better and broader than we can ever imagine. I love how Beth put it on Day 35, “Your greatest reality in your greatest difficulty is an invisible, all-powerful God.” Wow. But, she goes on to say, “The test is whether or not you’ll seek His invisible face.”

I am very grateful that we started this journey in February and were well on the path for the start of Lent. Do you want to know why? Well, I am going to tell you! It spared me and freed me from trying to decide on a devotional for Lent, or another study or another anything. It has been ENOUGH to commit to this ONE THING. As a matter of fact, I communicated via e-mail with a Pastor I am interviewing for an upcoming post and book review. I apologized that I was not able to finish reading his book (although I just finished and have to say it is a must read, honestly!) as fast as I intended, because my reading apart from this devotional and my Bible has been all this season has allowed. He assured me those were the right priorities!

These 70 Days my commitment to meet Him first and foremost with my Bible and this Devo and PRAYER is my Lenten journey. Not side tracking with any other thing. Occasionally I have to meet Him at a later time and that is fine, but because of a morning commitment not a lack of prioritizing properly. My prayer has been to prioritize this ONE THING for 70 Days.

Are there distractions? Yes. Obstacles to overcome? Yes. Challenges I had not planned on prior to the journey? Yes.

This is why I asked for a handful of sojourners to join me. We go this particular path this day…we may not travel this way together again.

Let’s celebrate  the journey. Let us encourage one another to stay the course.

So how are you doing with this week’s readings?

Did you have any favorite quotes?

What is God speaking to your heart?

As you can see by the picture above, my prayer journal is almost completely filled! I will be purchasing another of the same style for the second half of our journey this weekend when I head to Wal-Mart.

“When you don’t know what God is doing, you can find stability in Who He is.” ~Beth Moore

I am posting Saturday night, with the hope you will all check in!

Regroup, Re-Commit, Return to the path…no looking back, set out on the path, refreshed.

1. annb48
    Mar 08, 2014 @ 22:01:27

Our Ash Wednesday service was very touching for me as have been the readings for this week. I really appreciate your post today — thanks Dawn!
    I don’t have a favorite quote right now, but most of the week I have had the song in my mind …

“Who Am I” by Casting Crowns

Who am I, that the Lord of all the earth
    Would care to know my name,
    Would care to feel my hurt?
    Who am I, that the Bright and Morning Star
    Would choose to light the way
    For my ever wandering heart?

Not because of who I am
    But because of what You’ve done.
    Not because of what I’ve done
    But because of who You are.

I am a flower quickly fading,
    Here today and gone tomorrow.
    A wave tossed in the ocean.
    A vapor in the wind.
    Still You hear me when I’m calling.
    Lord, You catch me when I’m falling.
    And You’ve told me who I am.
    I am Yours, I am Yours.

Who am I, that the eyes that see my sin
    Would look on me with love and watch me rise again?
    Who am I, that the voice that calmed the sea
    Would call out through the rain
    And calm the storm in me?

Not because of who I am
    But because of what You’ve done.
    Not because of what I’ve done
    But because of who You are.

I am a flower quickly fading,
    Here today and gone tomorrow.
    A wave tossed in the ocean.
    A vapor in the wind.
    Still You hear me when I’m calling.
    Lord, You catch me when I’m falling.
    And You’ve told me who I am.
    I am Yours.

Whom shall I fear?
    Whom shall I fear?
    ‘Cause I am Yours, I am Yours

You can listen to it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTQTcasa2S8

Ann

• enthusiasticallydawn
      Mar 08, 2014 @ 22:36:13

It is interesting that you mention music- I have been feeling very drawn and renewed in my appreciation for praise and worship music since the begininning of March or so. Beautiful song, thanks for checking in, Ann!

2. dawnmaurice
    Mar 09, 2014 @ 05:30:14

Not sure if it’s been the Spirit or hormones or both (haha) but I’ve been especially mushy this week, feeling very aware and extremely blessed with the love God has placed in my life. This study has certainly made me feel more grounded throughout the days and more thoughtful of Scripture beyond my morning quiet time–it stays with me and I’m really enjoying the process!

3. melissac
    Mar 09, 2014 @ 17:33:03

Hello all! Sorry I missed last week. I am continuing our journey. I missed a few days last week simply because I allowed this world to creep in on my time with the Lord.

annb48 – that is one of my favorite Casting Crowns song!! They are definitely my favorite group!

As for my reflections on this past weeks study, they were very focused on the importance of the Word in my life. The days that spoke strongest to me were Days 26-28. I realized the Word needs to be not just read and applied but absorbed so that it becomes a complete part of me. My favorite quote is Day 28 “The more we know God through prayer and His Word, the more aware of and comfortable with our true identity we will become.

I am also reading A Million Little Ways by Emily Freeman and this is her message as well. God is definitely speaking to me about what I need to be doing in my life right now!!

Hugs to all!
    Melissa

• enthusiasticallydawn
      Mar 10, 2014 @ 09:21:55

I really found those days to be poignant and powerful as well, Melissa. I so want to read Emily’s book, it is on my to read list. So glad to see you popping in here. I do agree with this : I realized the Word needs to be not just read and applied but absorbed so that it becomes a complete part of me. Oh, and isn’t that His desire that we would be one with Him, as He is with the Father and that we would have unity together by His SPirit with one another. HIs heart’s desire, YES! Hugs, my friend.

4. Kathleen
    Mar 09, 2014 @ 18:42:38

Checking in! I did better this week than last so that is good 🙂 I am determined to actually finish this whole book. I am really enjoying Beth’s devotions. The “elbow prints on the bedspread” definitely struck a chord with me, along with the idea of Abraham offering Isaac as a living sacrifice to God and our need to do the same with our children. Even though it is sometimes hard to let them out of our tight grips. I’m still having trouble establishing a time of day to settle into my time with God. As I have grown in my faith, I do feel that I am in communion with him more throughout the day, but I just can’t seem to figure out a good settled time to devote to prayer and bible study. I’m still just fitting it in where I can and that doesn’t feel right. It makes it very easy to miss a day. This is my struggle right now.

• enthusiasticallydawn
      Mar 10, 2014 @ 09:17:55

Hi Kathleen! I have to just mention how much I have been enjoying the songs at church thie past few weeks! I will pray you can find that right time to have a “set apart” time with Him, but so glad you are feeling closer in the daily- that is really the beauty of our faith, to know Him right in the middle of our here and now. Praying for you and grateful you are committed!