A Call Out to My Home-schooling Mamas on Monday (Help!)

Credit!function(d,s,id){var js,fjs=d.getElementsByTagName(s)[0];if(!d.getElementById(id)){js=d.createElement(s);js.id=id;js.src=”//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js”;fjs.parentNode.insertBefore(js,fjs);}}(document,”script”,”twitter-wjs”);

This will be the briefest Monday post ever.

Here’s why:

Last week will go down in my personal history as the most radical U-Turn I have ever made.
My husband and I decided we needed to Home School my daughter.
This story is too long and complicated to get into here.
Suffice it to say, this is our decision and her desire.
We did Home School for one year – Kindergarten. I loved it and used My Father’s World curriculum. But 7th grade is a whole different BEAST. This mom is a little ….
shh, lean in, will you?
Intimidated.

We like to put our communication in writing in this family.
This was Katherine’s signed document. She asked me to tell her my objections and concerns, after which, she carefully addressed in writing each one as well as a commitment to uphold the appropriate expectation. We will be doing a Parents version this week.

This caused me to panic at first since I really had a lot of plans, including getting into this neglected room and working on a few writing and craft projects.
Apparently panic helps me to get organized.
By Monday we could find the floor!
Yay, me!

???????????
So this week I am asking you to give me your best Home School advice, tip and/or favorite helpful link
If you never have Home- Schooled before, just say a quick prayer for my girl and me as we attempt our second week. And send your friends who Home-School right over here to HELP me!

Although this was an abrupt decision, God blessed us with many wonderful gifts this week.

377. Curriculum freely given for Math, Science, English/Lit, Grammar.
378. A gifted membership to our local Home School Group
379. The ability to jump right in and start working
380. Our History choice available at a local library, including: book, teachers book and activity guide
381. Lots of library time
382. A freezing beach walk with friends
383. Starbucks on Sunday after church just because
384. Solid support from new friends and old
385. the way God allows new friendships to be birthed in times of need
386. Realization that some people will not understand or support our decision
387. Peace knowing it’s none of the business of #386 what we do, anyway.
388. God’s faithfulness

*Check out my books on Goodreads: http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/5995235-dawn

Feb 04, 2013 @ 14:13:56

I admire your decision, having taught grades 5-8. What a wonderful gift you are giving to your daughter. I am currently an Instructional Support Specialist for my school district, and I work with an amazing team of Support Specialists, so ask away if you have any questions.

2. Dawn Paoletta
    Feb 04, 2013 @ 14:24:39

Jodee, your words are an encouragement- appreciate the offer and will get back to you with my questions ASAP! Thanks you!

3. Melody
    Feb 04, 2013 @ 14:38:25

Saying a little prayer for you. We attempted to homeschool for Kindergarten with my oldest last year. And it flopped big time. BUT he has some special needs and at least for the time being, it is very apparent that I am not the best person to teach him. I can relate at least a little though : ) Blessings to you as you begin this journey.

4. Jenn
    Feb 04, 2013 @ 14:45:02

I'm saying a little prayer for you this morning. My son is 18 months and my prayer is that we will be able to homeschool when the time comes, perhaps when the time comes I'll be looking to YOU for advice! Best wishes!

5. Faith
    Feb 04, 2013 @ 14:48:23

Go Mom!! I also homeschooled in Kindergarten and we did public schools since – as much as it kills me, it's what's best for them right now. However – I was homeschooled myself K-12 so here is a little advice. GET CONNECTED – in my state we have a K12 program that is basically school curriculum taught by special public school teachers in online class rooms. My older sister started doing this when her oldest hit high school – all of her kids LOVE it and they are still at home! It was a good, cost effective alternative for her family. I don't know if you can start mid- year but this would be a good place to get started since you won't have to do all of the planning & teaching.A lot of my friends do Classical Conversations co-op. Again, no real planning involved. A lot of the heavy lifting is already done. At the very least find yourself a local homeschooling group that has activities for YOU as well as your kids since you'll both need some socialization.Some of my homeschooling friends love abecca curriculum, it's pretty comprehensive and quite advanced. others like Sonlight which is more laid-back and heavy in the literature department. Good luck with your adventure!!

6. Chronicles Of A Mommy
    Feb 04, 2013 @ 14:57:35

Hello! Stopping by from Miscellany Monday! I homeschooled for Kindergarten and now my oldest is in first grade at public school. My best advice would be to be easy on yourself – we are approaching public schooling just like homeschooling – making our decision each grade and each child at a time. It is better for those stressful moments to think of the time in chunks one year at a time then to think “how am I going to do this for 5 more years” or whatever the time table is. Also, when that “intimidation” creeps in, check it at the door because you know that when you are walking in God's Will you are not doing things in your own strength – but with His leading. Gd isn't going to just drop you off where He wants you, He is going to give you everything you need. 🙂

7. Tim and Richelle
    Feb 04, 2013 @ 17:10:40

i always home school the 7th grade year – such an important transition year for these kids. normally, each time it is a year by year, child by child decision… but not that 7th grade one. and it is a blast… a wonderful year – fourth time through and counting!hope you love this adventure with your girl!

8. BARBIE
    Feb 04, 2013 @ 18:02:58

Oh friend, you've got this! I am praying for you this week. And you can pray for me as we've been very lazy over here.

Feb 04, 2013 @ 20:03:02

Praying wisdom, and much success for you my friend.

10. Shalynne Addison
    Feb 04, 2013 @ 21:50:16

It sounds like you are off to a good start! Just take it a little at time & don't let yourself get bogged down. We homeschool & some days it really is a challenge so I know that I have to take it one day (one hour, sometimes one minute!) at a time.And could you please come over & clean up my messy rooms? You did a great job, haha!Stopping by from The Sisterhood! 🙂

11. Recovering Church Lady
    Feb 04, 2013 @ 22:47:32

SO COOL that you were given curriculum for free! That is one of the major obstacles for many people, the cost and choosing a curriculum! So yay! I am so happy for you and I will be praying for a few specifics such as: Clarity, patience, joy, patience, wisdom, creativity, patience, silence and ummm patience. These will be targeted at all 3 of you. Love you!

12. Amy
    Feb 04, 2013 @ 23:23:35

WOw, this is huge! Hmmm, advice. Don't let yourself get too overwhelmed. Even if you miss something, your child will be SO blessed to be home with you. Don't go curriculum happy, sets are expensive and most people don't use it all. Although, you got yours free, so yay! The most helpful thing I ever did was setting up binders with tabs for each day of the week and planning out their whole week on Sunday. I can just say “grab your binders” and they can start! Praying for you friend! It's going to be amazing.

13. Ashley Ditto
    Feb 04, 2013 @ 23:23:52

I think you are making a wonderful choice for your daughter, you are amazing Dawn!

14. quietspirit
    Feb 05, 2013 @ 00:19:50

I have two friends who have home schooled children. One has three children-the oldest one graduated last spring and is in the Navy. The other friend has home schooled her two children-the older child is in her second year at IVY Tech (a vocational school.)I tried to give my son a leg up on some high school classes one summer but it didn't work out for us. Had I been feeling better, I might have done better.

15. The Proverbs 31 Sanctuary
    Feb 05, 2013 @ 04:48:27

Praying for you and yours. I look forward to watching you grow in your adventure. Blessings. Tara. Found you at Sisterhood link up.

16. Dawn Paoletta
    Feb 07, 2013 @ 03:24:59

Thank you Tara! Will be visiting you back between all the finding our way stuff! Appreciate you praying.

17. Dawn Paoletta
    Feb 07, 2013 @ 03:26:20

Thanks Cecelia- and I got your e-mail- it ha been hectic and not sure if I got back to you BUT I appreciate the input- and that referral- she is a great lady and I will hope to hook up with her on the HS issue!

18. Dawn Paoletta
    Feb 07, 2013 @ 03:27:31

Thanks for your kind words. I do not believe I am amazing but I know God is…please if you say my kitchen at the moment- UN-amazing! lol. Hugs, Sista!

19. Dawn Paoletta
    Feb 07, 2013 @ 03:29:48

Thanks, Amy- your last post really was great timing! You are an inspiration! I might have to peruse your blog for more tips. The age is most intimidating. ACK. Algebra?

20. Dawn Paoletta
    Feb 07, 2013 @ 03:30:14

I covet your prayers and am grateful for you!

21. Dawn Paoletta
    Feb 07, 2013 @ 03:31:08

Oh thanks for that- we have had some challenges already. Trying to find our way…good advice! Thank you!

22. Dawn Paoletta
    Feb 07, 2013 @ 03:31:38

Thanks, Denise – I am blessed by your faithful visits and kind words of encouragement!

23. Dawn Paoletta
    Feb 07, 2013 @ 03:32:45

I keep hearing those words this week, Barbie…You've got this. God's got this, – I keep saying. I can do this. I feel like that little train from so many story nights ago…I think I can, I think I can…

24. Dawn Paoletta
    Feb 07, 2013 @ 03:33:41

Wow! 4 times? That is impressive. I know who to e-mail with questions! Thanks Richelle!

25. Dawn Paoletta
    Feb 07, 2013 @ 03:37:41

Melody, it is good that you recognize that you are not the best person at this time for your son and I relate…we are working through some issues and I may be the best one for her at the moment BUT maybe she will be able to conquer some of the special needs she has at this time (ADD/anxiety +)and join in a positive learning environment otherwise. Taking it one step at a time. Thanks for the visit, input and honesty!

26. Dawn Paoletta
    Feb 07, 2013 @ 03:39:21

Jenn, thank you- enjoy that sweet time- it goes by sooooo fast. I know everyone is telling you that because I remember it. I don't regret the time I spent enjoying her yournger years- the memories help me through some of our challenges now!

27. Dawn Paoletta
    Feb 07, 2013 @ 03:41:08

Thank you for all your input, Faith. I so appreciate it and am taking it in and to heart. One day at a time. Great wisdom and advice- thanks for that!We need connection- she is an only child and needs to be with some other children!

28. Dawn Paoletta
    Feb 07, 2013 @ 03:43:02

Thanks a million-Clinging to the wisdom here. Yes! I have thought this already…How am I gonna? LOL. BUT already have practiced what you have preached by acknowledging this is a journey and I am taking it one day at a time!

29. Autumn Jones
    Feb 10, 2013 @ 00:19:42

Homeschooling is great, and you will love it. You will also, especially in the beginning, freak out, feel overwhelmed, and at times go into an all-out panic. This is completely normal! It will take a while to get into a groove. This is also normal. Just remember that no one has a more vested interest in your daughter's success, academic and otherwise, than you do. Something I wish I knew my first year: You do NOT have to follow the public school's yearly schedule. Want to school for less days a week and do it year-round? Go for it. Want to homeschool in the summer and then take off a month in spring and a month in fall? You can do that, too. YOU are in charge, of the schedule, the curriculum, and her education. Though this sometimes causes panic, this is a GOOD THING. Keep listening to God's leading and you will do great. 🙂

30. melissa beaver
    Mar 04, 2013 @ 19:36:23

this is our first year homeschooling! i love it and so does my kindergartner! it's been a great journey for us. best of luck to you. it will be great:)