Monday’s Dark Shadows And True Confessions

Barnabas Collins..
reminds us that evil is indeed deceptive…
Well this Monday I am coming clean. I confess my hubby and I have been having a little affair. Kinda. Let me explain how this started. I am not a BIG fan of the Telly. But my hub enjoys relaxing with that there contraption. So, sometimes I indulge him. Most recently we have been watching the original Dark Shadows series through Netflix on our Wii. It all started when my Mother – In – Law, Grace was reminiscing, recently about raising her four boys. Somehow the topic got onto nap-time and how she occasionally watched this particular program. My hub said he was almost named Barnabus because of it! Grace corrected him- he was almost named after another character named Quinten, I have yet to meet, on our journey to watch all 1225 episodes (@20 minutes each). My hub is very nostalgic and we enjoy older programs. We both recalled seeing this late night on re-runs as kids, never really knowing the story-line, just one of those intriguing half hour shows you watch even though you never really know what the heck is going on! Honestly I am not a big fan of vampires or soap operas, but we have a giggle and enjoy the dialogue, cast and early film footage that this 1967-1971 live program delivers. It is great fun to see camera stumbles, actors making mistakes without editing and the lighting limitations. Of course there is also the fact that some of the original setting for the the show was set right here in Rhode Island.  The Newport Cliff WalkSeaview Terrace mansion, as  well as a local restaurant still in existence make it appealing! I was sad to hear that Jonathon Frid died in April of this year just prior to the release of the latest movie release of Dark Shadows.
Now you know our dirty little secret. My name is Victoria Winters…

Ice Coffee, a stack of books and sunshine…lovely Sunday!
I have to share with you a fabulous book I am enjoying. It’s called The Decorated Page- Journals, Scrapbook & Albums Made Simply Beautiful. I got mine from the library, and have linked it so you can peek but really it is full of wonderful inspiration for those of us who enjoy the journal journey. One of my goals has been to do an Altered Book. Do you have any creative goals for the Summer?

Praying for these fellow Bloggers this week:

22. Debby @ Heart Choices -June 10, 2012
23. Stephen @ Manifest Blog -June 11, 2012
24. Marti @ Marti’s Musings -June 12, 2012
25. Dakota @ A Look At Life From A Deerstand -June 13, 2012
26. Shanyn @ Strawberry Roan -June 14, 2012
27. Rachel @ Finding Joy -June 15, 2012
28. Melissa @ My Many Journeys… -June 16, 2012

194. a special surprise which blessed me beyond belief 195. sisters in Christ near and far 196. stacks of books 197. friends who enjoy sharing their hearts, unafraid 198. trust rising 199. flowers close, closer, closer still 200. friends for my girl 201. faith secure in Him 202. last day of Sunday School for Summer- fun time shared 203. hope in His promises 204. a clear desk…for the moment 205. homemade oatmeal raisin cookies 206. smiling with my hubby while watching old TV programs

Seriously, come back later this week when I post the story behind this picture
of Rene Swope holding me in her hands!
I promise you will be blessed!
“God Sized Surprises” Wednesday!
This is where I confess to you that I am so BEHIND
Epic Fail…for me.
But, look: there I am in Rene’s hands so,
 I guess there is a bright side, right?
Be sure and have a wonderful week!
Be kind to everyone…
especially the person that annoys you, OK?
“Only a kind person is able to judge another justly
and to make allowances for his weaknesses.
A kind eye, while recognizing defects,
sees beyond them.”
~L.G.Lavasik

miscellany monday at lowercase letters

1. Stacy
    Jun 11, 2012 @ 10:52:05

I didn't watch the original show and I don't get the whole vampire thing, but I saw previews for the Dark Shadows movie and admit I want to see it.

2. Modern Day Disciple
    Jun 11, 2012 @ 10:56:48

Stacy, the original show is more mystery and intrigue without much focus about the vampire thing. The fact is he is a vampire and is trying to hide it and be cured of it… Ironically I have no desire to see the new flick, except that Jonathon Frid makes a cameo appearance. And of course Johnny Depp is so good at doing what he does. Have a great week!

3. Donna Heber
    Jun 11, 2012 @ 12:56:55

Hi Dawn,I will have to check out the Dark Shadows series. I'm not familiar with it, but it does look very interesting. Enjoy the roses in your garden 🙂

4. quietspirit
    Jun 11, 2012 @ 16:13:12

Dawn: Hubby recently told me of a cable channel that has CLASSIC shows- (black and white)'The Fugitive,'and 'Naked City,' were on last night. I watched the Fugitive. This channel has the ORIGINAL Hawaii 5-0.

5. Modern Day Disciple
    Jun 11, 2012 @ 17:41:33

Thanks for that Cecelia! I have never heard of Naked City!

6. Modern Day Disciple
    Jun 11, 2012 @ 17:42:46

Thanks for visiting. Loved your place! I certainly do not want to be responsible for getting someone hooked on a TV series! Use discretion- ;), smiling.

Jun 11, 2012 @ 18:12:34

#203 – hope in His promisesAmen to this. “For He who promises is faithful.” Loved your list. Thank you for sharing and the ocean sounds in the background are drifting are so soothing. Love them!

8. Tammy
    Jun 11, 2012 @ 18:38:28

Loved this post. Beautiful list. I have recently begun watching The Waltons. I love that show made me think of when I was growing up. I was caught by your word at the top of your blog and the verse. Made me think. Have a blessed day

9. MB@NewLifeSteward
    Jun 11, 2012 @ 22:36:51

My husband and I get hooked on shows via Netflix and the library. We watched the entire 24 series and Lost series that way. 🙂 It's fun every now and again!Mary Bethnewlifesteward.com

10. Pam
    Jun 12, 2012 @ 00:35:48

Gee whiz, Dawn. I feel ESPECIALLY archaic after reading all these comments. I can remember watching The Naked City. And as for Dark Shadows, I used to RUN home from school every day to watch it on Channel 6 ABC at 4:00 PM (frightening how many details I can remember of that, but a young friend asked me what I did this weekend, and I drew a complete blank!). Yes, Dark Shadows was quite the campy show. As for Quentin Collins…the man had some evil eyes and more hair on his face than on his head, and he had a lot of hair there. My favorite character was witchy Angelique Collins. :)Your iced coffee looked YUMMY. And I'm looking forward to hearing the Rene Swope story.Blessings to you, my friend,Pam

11. Modern Day Disciple
    Jun 12, 2012 @ 03:20:22

Welcome, Kari! So glad you are enjoying the visit.

12. Modern Day Disciple
    Jun 12, 2012 @ 03:21:46

Hi Tammy, I love The Waltons. And yes, the word was God's choice for me for the year. I am learning…the lessons of less this year.

13. Modern Day Disciple
    Jun 12, 2012 @ 03:23:28

Mary Beth, I have not seen Lost or 24…although maybe some of 24. That rings a bell! Netflix is great! Thanks for visiting and leaving your footprint in the sand!

14. Modern Day Disciple
    Jun 12, 2012 @ 03:26:06

Hahahaha! I can always count on my BBFF to understand and add to my crazy! I can't wait till we hang out! I have not met Angelique yet. I enjoy Julia right now. She has the best facial expressions…and is so delightfully twisted in her psychology. Hugs. Of course I adore Victoria Winters…and Barnabus.

15. Sherrey
    Jun 12, 2012 @ 03:27:29

Dawn, I came over to visit your blog after you left a comment on mine. I love the sound of the ocean and that alone will draw me back. Enjoyed your post, and especially reading your list of gifts you're counting. I hope our paths cross again. I see great inspiration here.

16. Modern Day Disciple
    Jun 12, 2012 @ 03:29:24

Hi Sherry, well I am glad my Barnabus post did not scare you off! Thanks for your kind words. I hope our paths cross again as well!

17. Debbie
    Jun 12, 2012 @ 17:46:54

I have to admit that I was in high school when Dark Shadows was THE soap opera to hurry and watch. Everyone was talking about it!I was so surprised and honored to see my name on your prayer list for June 10th! Thank you so much. Prayer is such a privilege as we communicate with our Lord. It really touched me to read this. I'm so glad we also connected on Facebook. I've been a bit busy with travel lately and haven't been blogging as much or visiting blogs as much. But hopefully, I'll be back again.Blessings and love,DebbiePS. I love the sound of the surf!

18. Modern Day Disciple
    Jun 12, 2012 @ 18:46:23

Hi Debbie, thanks for stopping by to say Hi! Hope you are enjoying all you are doing- see you when you return!

19. peggy aplSEEDS
    Jun 14, 2012 @ 23:52:40

i've never watched an episode of Dark Shadows but i know how it is to get hooked into watching a TV series! that book you are reading looks wonderful and you have just reminded me to get back to work on my altered book! thank you for sharing!hugs and blessings, peggy aplSEEDS

20. The Paper Princess
    Jun 17, 2012 @ 12:22:06

OMG, Dawn, I LOVE your dirty little secret – lol! Growing up I was SO hooked on this show! I never got to see them all and knowing that they exist – well a part of me would love to see the series – but truth be told, I'm afraid I might not leave the TV until it was done! So – no DS for me! But – someone even gave me the GAME as a gift way back when – it actually came with glow in the dark fangs!I saw the previews for the new movie on TV and it is NOTHING like the original! So no appeal there.Have a great day and thanks for sharing at Inspire Me Monday! :-)Create With Joyhttp://create-with-joy.com

21. Modern Day Disciple
    Jun 18, 2012 @ 02:53:26

Oh and when you get back to work on that AB, I sure hope you will share! Thanks, Peggy!

22. Modern Day Disciple
    Jun 18, 2012 @ 02:55:26

Ramona, so glad you understand our DL secret! I totally understand the issue at hand. It's like potato chips. Yummy. But if the bag is open…look out! Best to leave them in the store…;)