March Whispers Green

photo credit: IMG_6247 via photopin (license)

photo credit: IMG_6247 via photopin (license)

A poem for those yearning for Spring…

wishing you all a Happy Monday, despite the lack of green.

March Whispers Green

March whispers green

as I look through wintry eyes…

the snow

doesn’t yet know,

or perhaps isn’t listening

to those yearning for Spring.

March whispers green

as I see a new white blanket

covering the memory of grass

in my front yard.

How long will it last?

March whispers green,

still Old Man Winter

remains on the scene,

though most vent their displeasure

at his presence,

as they long for warmer weather.

March whispers green,

but I’ve yet to see a leprechaun

or shamrock.

Then again, I’m not Irish.

I better don my knee high boots-

and dig myself out.

Or maybe I should hibernate

remaining in a dream state…

until green returns.

Linking with dVerse for OLN which stands for Open Link Night…FYI! 😉

1. Barbara
    Mar 02, 2015 @ 13:34:54

Love it! I cannot say “I know how you feel”; our cold – here in Florida – is certainly not snow or cold as others may have…we DO get cold and rainy weather and, to us, it IS cold! Today, dare I say it is sunny and 72 outside…I just returned from being out there and it’s a beautiful day!

I love your poem…I need to reflect on things a bit and try to write more poetry. Mostly doing the blogging and journaling!! (And drafting my RJD for May 1st!!!)…

Thanks for sharing!!

2. Cecelia Lester
    Mar 02, 2015 @ 16:50:11

I DO know how you feel. Saturday, I got excited seeing the brown grass in the yard of our insurance agent’s office as I went to drop off the payments. Hubby thinks I don’t get out enough. In the cold and snowy weather, he’s right.

3. claudia
    Mar 26, 2015 @ 15:34:57

ah those last weeks before spring breaks through – they can feel endless… i cannot wait until springs spreads its blue band…

4. tinkwelborn
    Mar 26, 2015 @ 15:52:52

So there! February, Take that!
    I like this poem and the play with shamrocks, Irish leprechauns, and the Hope for Spring. All the Tropes come out loud & clear, here. Job well done!

5. Sabio Lantz
    Mar 26, 2015 @ 15:57:35

Love the optimism

6. Björn Rudberg (brudberg)
    Mar 26, 2015 @ 16:07:11

I feel that March should be greener.. but right now we are also back to cold weather.. on the other hand snow ans sun is such a great thing to experience too… skis and snow can be calling.

7. Gabriella
    Mar 26, 2015 @ 17:21:57

We are ready for green, aren’t we? I can hear the whisper too but do not see much of it yet, although the snow has now disappeared.

8. Grace
    Mar 26, 2015 @ 17:29:26

Winter cold has returned here (or never left) so I am ready for the green of spring to come anytime ~ I hear those whispering of green becoming louder, smiles ~

9. Bryan Ens
    Mar 26, 2015 @ 18:03:53

oh those whispers of green…we had some green here already, but then the white came back and spoiled it…but the green is persistent and will be back soon (I hope)

10. dkirkstokes
    Mar 26, 2015 @ 18:13:25

We’re being hit with what I hope is the last cold breath of winter right now, north wind, showers, around freezing for the next three nights, but that should be the last freezing weather we have, down here in Mississippi. It won’t be cold enough to hurt the flowers that have already burst out. My orchard is resplendent now. Come on down!

11. Mary
    Mar 26, 2015 @ 19:21:10

March is definitely very fickle. The snow doesn’t seem to know that we are yearning for spring for sure. I like the way you have written “March whispers green…” Well, as I see it, perhaps April will listen. Smiles.

12. Linda Kruschke
    Mar 26, 2015 @ 19:35:19

I’m so glad I don’t live where you do. We didn’t have any snow this winter and the daffodils are blooming. Peace, Linda

13. kanzensakura
    Mar 26, 2015 @ 20:59:05

I do like that repeating line so very much! I travelled to a funeral yesterday and I can tell you, three hours south of here, March is listening to your plea! Trees blooming, daffodils all waving as one passes….March is shouting green in Clarksville, VA…..

14. http://vivinfrance.wordpress.com
    Mar 27, 2015 @ 03:11:06

There must be many experiencing this feeling. Thankful, I am, that Spring has launched itself well here. I love the repetition in your poem – the essence of Sprng.

15. Alex Dissing
    Mar 27, 2015 @ 12:44:11

“March whispers green” and you’re right, it’s as if Old Man Winter is hard of hearing. Hang in there!

16. Jennifer Wagner
    Mar 27, 2015 @ 13:21:07

I’d send you some of our green if I could…smiles. Fun poem, Dawn–hope you dig out of winter and into spring soon!

17. katiemiafrederick
    Mar 28, 2015 @ 14:54:52

Ah.. the green springs.. the white comes.. and takes the green back to brown.. but the light shines wherever heart.. soul.. and spirit.. live in love and spread a glorious glow of life.. in dark or color.. night or dark.. or fifty shades of grey.. in RainBow Light!..:)

18. Adriana Citlali Ramírez
    Mar 28, 2015 @ 17:36:30

I feel your words. Oslo got confused with a hint of spring in early March, as soon as spring came, we got lots of snow. I am now wondering if the spring will be snowy or green… smiles…

19. johnallenrichter
    Mar 28, 2015 @ 19:52:11

Hibernating man…. yeah- me too – but my cocoon is busting at the seams right now! cool poem – love spring – but kind a’ love winter too. That looks like fluffy insulation on top of Ted Kazinsky’s cabin in the photo…. cool. Man – that is a poem waiting to happen… good job.