His, Mine and The Story of Forever

photo credit: B.Riordan. via photopin cc

photo credit: B.Riordan. via photopin cc

dverse poets pub is a place I love to hang out. Tonight Brian Miller is tending the bar…and we are breaking some rules. I am terrible at following forms, but I am trying to join in tonight, thinking I may have not got it right but still loved doing it anyway. I figure if it can be wrong then I might get it right…but what if it’s supposed to be wrong and I actually got it right but that would make it wrong. Ha!

I didn’t really break it…but instead I tried to remake it?

I had decided to try this form…The Cento. And right off the bat I was told I could not use the writer’s words since Cento is like a poetic version of collage using pieces of other authors’ work. However, since I can make or break the rules the way I want…ahem, ala Mr, Miller (our host), then um…well…here is my offering.

His, Mine and the Story of Forever

I wrote this story for you, but when I began I had not realized that girls grow quicker than books.

As a result you are too old for fairy tales, and by the time it is printed and bound you will be older still.

What is there, but love and fairy tales

for old men and little girls

an aromatic pipe on winter night,

mahogany wood and pearls

A moment later she found that she was standing in the middle of a wood at night-time with snow under her feet and snowflakes falling through the air.

Shall I speak to you of heavenly things

Of what’s revealed when mountains sing

songs of life and stones that know

where butterflies speak soft and slow

On and On he led them, into dark shadows and out into pale moonlight, getting their feet wet with the heavy dew.

I wished upon a starry sky

looked into the Lion’s eyes

waged a war

was a queen

pondered what my life

had been

wondered if I’d go again

or if there could be another end

instead of what I’ve come to know

of spring’s return and melting snow

One day you’ll see Him and another you won’t. He doesn’t like being tied down- and of course he has other countries to attend to. It’s quite all right. He’ll often drop in. Only you mustn’t press him. He’s wild you know. Not like a tame lion.

I’ve chatted with sages

explored the outer perimeters

of brown edged pages

faced demons and gods

and creatures unknown

danced with fairies and fawns

and birds that have flown

from dusk unto dawn

into the unknown

But some day you will be old enough to start reading fairy tales again.

and perhaps once again

you will believe in me,

be able to see

my love for you

beyond your needs

when your walls have crumbled

and you are unafraid

of being human

You can then take it down from some upper shelf, dust it, and tell me what you think of it. I shall proably be too deaf to hear, and too old to understand a word you say, but I shall still be

Your affectionate Mother,

Parka Marie Lewis

*All italicized sentences are from (as if you don’t already know) my favorite childhood story The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe by C. S. Lewis. It is a combination of his personal dedication note to his God-daughter and some of my  favorite lines from the story. The last name (which replaces his name)  is my made up for fun Pen Name!

1. Gabriella
    Jan 22, 2015 @ 18:42:41

This is a wonderful Cento and a great creation. You made me want to read the book again.

2. brian miller
    Jan 22, 2015 @ 19:11:06

when your walls have failed and you are no longer afraid to be human…
    may we all reach that point eh? i dont know that we ever get too old for the story…i hope not at least…ha….hope you had fun breaking a bit….

3. Grace
    Jan 22, 2015 @ 19:41:17

The cento is beautifully done ~ I admire the heart of the mother writing these lines, weaving with the story lines ~ How brave of you to try this form Dawn ~ Cheers & applause from me ~

4. Mary
    Jan 22, 2015 @ 20:52:05

I found this very touching! I always loved “The Lion, Witch, and Wardrobe” and must have read it 4 – 5 times. There is always something new to be found. I like a lot of C.S. Lewis’ other writings too. He definitely is a favorite author of mine. I liked the Cento form, have never used it. You inspire me.

5. Desmond, Anthony (@iamEPanthony)
    Jan 22, 2015 @ 21:02:07

I like this Centro form–made for a great read… And, ugh, the mother writing these touched me

6. georgeplace2013
    Jan 22, 2015 @ 21:02:27

Love C S Lewis… wonderful cento creation you have done!

7. Snakypoet (Rosemary Nissen-Wade)
    Jan 22, 2015 @ 23:40:49

A lovely way to break the cento. And yes, I recognised where the Lewis lines came from — even though I have never read the Narnia books!

8. Gay Cannon
    Jan 22, 2015 @ 23:46:41

Recognized the Narnia lines – thought this was a great non-Cento – Cento. I felt like this would be found in a beautiful box unexpected one fine day. Great!

9. claudia
    Jan 22, 2015 @ 23:48:48

that is cool.. i love c.s. lewis and i love what you did with this… and heck yes – we’re never too old for fairy tales – we just think we are at a certain age…

10. biggerthanalasagna
    Jan 23, 2015 @ 02:05:00

I like this poem a lot, and I am feeling the need to go dig out my copy of “The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe.” Thanks for the happy feelings!
    -heidi

11. MarinaSofia
    Jan 23, 2015 @ 03:30:25

One of my favourite books in childhood – and of course Lucy was my favourite character and I imagined I was her. An excellent tribute to a wonderful book. Rules? Breaking them? Sounds good to me, whether you did enough of it or not!

12. rythaephua
    Jan 23, 2015 @ 04:07:48

Wonderfully powerful!

13. Tony Maude
    Jan 23, 2015 @ 05:00:47

Lovely, Dawn. I think you’ve combined the Cento with features of the Haibun and come up with something new. By taking your prose sections from another work and combining them with your own poetry you have created something unique and beautiful.

14. Björn Rudberg (brudberg)
    Jan 23, 2015 @ 09:28:12

Yes this was new.. you have poured in so much of your own so it is not really a cento any longer… I agree totally with Tony.. you have met and passed the bar, and haibun we did here http://dversepoets.com/2014/05/29/meeting-the-bar-the-haibun/ I love how you have mixed the foreword in as well, it is quite memorable..

15. Bryan Ens
    Jan 23, 2015 @ 16:41:38

The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe is one of my all-time favourites too, and your poem was a wonderful tribute to Lewis’s story!

16. Mama Zen
    Jan 23, 2015 @ 17:06:14

This is delightful!

17. Victoria C. Slotto
    Jan 23, 2015 @ 19:14:21

How very beautiful. Because I haven’t had children I’d never read Lewis’ collection–though I know of him for his other writing. Also, I never saw the movies. How metaphoric this is, which doesn’t surprise me given his strong faith. I think I might need to do some more reading here. Thank you.

18. Linda Kruschke
    Jan 23, 2015 @ 20:59:11

This is awesome! I did recognize the quotes from The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe. I love that book, too – the whole Narnia series, in fact. I don’t know if you got the form right or wrong, but I loved this nonetheless. Peace, Linda

19. lynn__
    Jan 23, 2015 @ 21:39:08

The Chronicles of Narnia are amazing but so is what you did with the passages and poetry here…unique and inspiring with a motherly touch!

20. shanyns
    Jan 24, 2015 @ 22:05:47

Where is the love button? Cause I LOVE this! Narnia and your poetry woven together into something amazing. I’d love to print this over one of my Narnia inspired photos. You rocked it girl.