Choosing the Direction of My Gaze

WP_20140227_14_01_20_Pro

But God, being rich in mercy, because of the great love with which he loved us,  even when we were dead in our trespasses, made us alive together with Christ—by grace you have been saved—  and raised us up with him and seated us with him in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus, so that in the coming ages he might show the immeasurable riches of his grace in kindness toward us in Christ Jesus. ~Ephesians 2:7

The weather man announced snow coming again this week, and the commentary of the masses would lead one to believe doomsday is approaching. You know, it seems to me perspective is something that needs to be taught, caught or bought. Because, right about now, I’d like to be selling perspective to folks that don’t seem to see clearly at all.  The fact is, last time I checked, the Meteorologist, you and I really have not one iota of control over the weather.

But, what proceeds out of the mouth in response of that which one has no control over, certainly  reveals  a lot about ones’ perceptions.

We choose our response.

We choose how we see.

We choose the words we speak.

We choose our perceptions.

Boy, God has been speaking to my heart about these things.

See the weather, whatever it brings is beyond my control.

But my response to circumstances that are beyond my control reveals where my focus is. Where my heart is set. If the compass of my heart is set on the necessity of specific circumstances for peace, joy and contentment, and even trust- I am certainly on a dangerous course.

I need to change the direction of my gaze…

I need to choose to set my heart on things above. I need to look up, away from the forecast, higher than the clouds. Straight into the heavenlies. Right into the face of Grace Himself.

So if you’re serious about living this new resurrection life with Christ, act like it. Pursue the things over which Christ presides. Don’t shuffle along, eyes to the ground, absorbed with the things right in front of you. Look up, and be alert to what is going on around Christ—that’s where the action is. See things from his perspective. ~The Message

Joining in for 5 Minute Frida…a tad late at Lisa Jo Baker’s Place and Barbie’s Weekend Brew

Five Minute Friday

TheWeekendBrewButton

1. susieklein
    Mar 01, 2014 @ 11:45:41

Currently working on getting my perspective back in order. Thank you Dawn. Love you! Susie

2. Susie
    Mar 01, 2014 @ 12:11:19

so very true!!!!

3. Grace {illustrated}
    Mar 01, 2014 @ 12:23:14

Share your perspective. Acknowledging that He is nearer than hands & feet…my choice…right now!!!

4. Abby
    Mar 01, 2014 @ 12:24:08

This has been on my mind a lot lately too, that I can choose my reactions to circumstances and choose to focus my mind on things above. Beautiful reminder that we do indeed have a choice, and praise God for that! Thanks for sharing.

5. Rebekah
    Mar 01, 2014 @ 12:31:28

Wonderful thoughts! Thanks for sharing!

6. Debbie Williamson
    Mar 01, 2014 @ 13:04:40

Love this so much, Dawn. It is ALL about our perspective, and if our perspective isn’t gazing on the things above, we will be blown about by the things we absolutely have no control over. “Don’t shuffle along, eyes to the ground, absorbed with the things right in front of you. Look up, and be alert to what is going on around Christ.” Thank you for your post today.

7. ambercadenas
    Mar 01, 2014 @ 13:09:18

Amen, Dawn, amen. I love your heart here – you’re so right on. I’ve been trying to be more mindful of this lately as well, especially how I respond to others and circumstances. I can’t control people or their behaviors toward me, but I sure can choose how I respond to them. I can’t control life or any aspect of it, really. But I can choose to give thanks for the gifts God gives, for his unyielding presence, and how I turn to him a hundred times throughout the day.

8. Barbie
    Mar 01, 2014 @ 13:47:57

I’m currently working of setting my gaze on things above. Thank you for another beautiful post.

9. Jedidja
    Mar 01, 2014 @ 14:24:27

Thanks for this reminder!

10. Susan Wachtel
    Mar 01, 2014 @ 15:09:22

Dear Dawn,

Thank you for the challenge to keep our focus on God and trust that all our circumstances are firmly in control in His sovereign and perfect control. Through the power of the Holy Spirit within us, may we take control of our thought and words and glorify our Heavenly Father.

Blessings in Christ…Susan

11. Lyli @ 3-D Lessons for Life
    Mar 01, 2014 @ 16:19:34

Dawn, I am so thankful that I read this today. Thank you for sharing it at The Weekend Brew for me to find it! 🙂 — That passage from Colossians 3 in The Message really grabbed me. I just shared it on my Facebook page. Very powerful!

Hope you have a wonderful weekend. )