On Friendship and Listening Well (5 Minute Friday-Listen)

I’ve thought about what it means to listen well, often. Probably because it’s something I have had to work on over the years. One might think this listening thing is easy, but I would have to argue against that assumption. Listening requires both selflessness and complete presence of self. Those who learn how to listen well, will be sought after and appreciated as it is a rare gift to give. As for me I can think of those who have offered this precious gift of listening…which includes so much more than what is heard. Think about why you connect with someone. Anyone. It’s because you have felt truly listened to, heard. And in this gift there is something beautiful and holy. It’s acceptance.So Christlike.

Linking with Lisa-Jo for 5 Minute Friday where we write for 5 minutes
and share back at her place! See you there?

1. Heidi Blankenship
    Jun 14, 2013 @ 13:54:55

I think you are absolutely right. When I truly feel heard, it's because the listener was completely present. Those are the interactions I crave. Thanks for posting. Well done.

2. Mia De Vries
    Jun 14, 2013 @ 14:00:54

Dear DawnYes, my friend, listening has become sort of a lost art. I think we have forgotten how our Lord has created us with two ears and only one mouth!Much love XXMia

Jun 14, 2013 @ 14:20:23

I really liked your posting about friendship and listening. The two certainly go hand-in-hand. I also love the sound of the ocean on your blog! That is one of my favorite sounds. Patti

4. Debbie Petras
    Jun 14, 2013 @ 15:05:40

Oh yes, listening is a precious gift. And I agree with you when you wrote “includes so much more than what is heard”. I'm so glad we've connected Dawn!Blessings and love,Debbie

5. Ashley Ditto
    Jun 14, 2013 @ 18:26:27

Selfless, yet available. A true life preserver in a day when we all drown in our own distractions. —-this helped me so much today!!!! Love you, friend!

6. Jennifer - The Deliberate Mom
    Jun 14, 2013 @ 18:55:32

This is lovely. Listening truly is a precious gift. I like you, have had to work on this… and it's still a work in progress. I love your reflections. They challenge me take inventory of what is happening in my life. Thank you. You are a blessing.Wishing you a lovely weekend.xoxo

7. Brian Miller
    Jun 15, 2013 @ 02:12:34

having someone that will truly listen and actively listen…that is def a rare treat…we all seem bent on thinking about what we will say next we forget to listen….

8. Ceil
    Jun 15, 2013 @ 02:21:47

Hi Dawn! I got connected to you through Five Minute Fridays.The ability to listen is really attractive in other people, isn't it? I want to be like that so I'd better learn to 'zip it' more and open my ears.Nice to meet you! I'm going to join your blog, so I can hear more from you!Peace in Christ,Ceil

Jun 15, 2013 @ 02:49:19

Hi Dawn!I tried commenting earlier today before we left Cancun, but my ipad wasn't letting me. Love your FMF post! I've also had to work on listening over the years. I'm still working on it, actually. I think it's so important and it's so true what you said about how we connect to each other through listening. LOVED this post. And your background is very beachy! I guess we share the same love of the ocean and sand. 🙂

10. BARBIE
    Jun 15, 2013 @ 06:55:41

I must ask Him to help me to listen better. I never want another's words to fall on deaf ears! Hugs to you my friend!

11. J. Lenni Dorner
    Jun 15, 2013 @ 23:16:26

Stopping by from Five Minute Friday. @JLenniDornerSo very true. It is a gift.Love your page! The ocean sound is wonderful.

Jun 17, 2013 @ 11:38:38