Recollection {5 Minute Friday: Stay}

Photo Credit

!function(d,s,id){var js,fjs=d.getElementsByTagName(s)[0];if(!d.getElementById(id)){js=d.createElement(s);js.id=id;js.src=”//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js”;fjs.parentNode.insertBefore(js,fjs);}}(document,”script”,”twitter-wjs”);

There is this one memory I have, I always come back to it. It’s more than a memory, even a thing- that brings it to my mind. One Teddy Bear in time brings me back to everything good, pure and innocent. I don’t know why or how this one gift somehow encapsulates all the magic and love of Christmas, but it does. I long to stay in this place. I am waiting for my grandparents to pick me up, they come and take me for the greasiest, most delicious fried chicken I ever remember eating. I see the flaky crust and taste the saltiness still…mmmm. I am looking at them doting over me. This long awaited Christmas visit among so many complications. Divorce splits families into twos, threes and fours. Painful to all yet sometimes through the eyes of innocence clinging to hope…there is a glimmer. More people to love and be loved by, more hope in love. We arrive and I see the box. One box wrapped perfectly. I open it quick. Hope stirring. In tissue paper, pristine, perfect and hopeful a soft white, bear with black, shiny eyes stares back at me. White, jointed and red bowed. I am enchanted with the sight of it. Still see it in my dreams. Hope in a white Christmas bear.

You just never know what will come out of you until you start writing!
 I never know where this 5 minutes will lead- it often surprises me-
come on by and try or see what Lisa-Jo is serving up over at her place!

Five Minute Friday

Nov 16, 2012 @ 15:03:46

Hi Dawn. So happy to have found you today through FMF. What a precious story of innocence in the midst of your world being torn. I, too, am a child of divorce and relate to those moments stopped — when life felt sweet and good, when we could be children, first. What a dear memory of a meal with your grandparents, opening that jointed white bear and seeing hope for a while.

2. Nikki @ Simplystriving
    Nov 16, 2012 @ 19:20:48

Oh what a lovely memory! thank you for sharing it with me. and thank you for reminding me that hope can always find us.Hugs to you!

3. Nikki @ Simplystriving
    Nov 16, 2012 @ 19:21:07

Nov 17, 2012 @ 09:10:27

Precious memory.

5. Brian Miller
    Nov 17, 2012 @ 13:33:15

smiles…mine growing up was a white and black panda…with orange eyes…

6. Debbie Petras
    Nov 17, 2012 @ 14:50:29

Divorce is so sad for all involved. Reading your recollection was very touching. That little teddy bear brought comfort to your heart.Blessings and love,Debbie

7. Recovering Church Lady
    Nov 17, 2012 @ 21:03:27

So beautiful and poignant, I love your little 5 minute writings!

8. Recovering Church Lady
    Nov 17, 2012 @ 21:04:15

And I am pretty sure that is the very first time I have used the word, “poignant” ! Haha!

9. Modern Day Disciple
    Nov 17, 2012 @ 21:18:40

I like “poignant”! Say it three times fast! 😉

Nov 18, 2012 @ 23:08:22

This is lovely Dawn, such a nice memory. I can understand the power of that loving gift and loving memory in amongst the fracture of the family at the time. Hugs.