Spiritually Stretched {5 Minute Friday}

Stretching. My mind goes to both the literal and the physical.
 I consider how God uses everything to teach us. Wastes nothing.
This past year I have been stretched.
My faith has been stretched.
My expectations and preconceived ideas about faith and have also been stretched.
 But here is the thing.
When a muscle is stretched, it is with the goal to maintain flexibility.
To keep the muscles pliable, lengthened.
Healthy.
 I can’t help but think of the spiritual applications of stretching as well.
The fact is muscles have limitations from a physiological and kinesiological perspective.
There is a safe and healthy range of motion based on the design
of the bones, tendons, joints, and ligaments.
Basic, yet unique and varied for each individual.
So God also allows us to be stretched.
It is always with the purpose of bringing health & flexibility to our faith lives.
As we are stretched by trials of adversity we grow in grace,
stretched beyond what we may have believed possible.
But made healthier, spiritually by the experience.

To join in or visit and read more 5 minute Friday entries
Click on the link below!

Five Minute Friday

1. Pamela M. Steiner
    Aug 17, 2012 @ 14:40:17

I like this one…at my great age (ha!), I find that I have to stretch just to get out of bed in the morning and walk without too much pain…and then I have to stretch my fingers all day to be able to keep them working at my computer or whatever else I may need to do…and I also find that I need to stretch my mind often…to figure out a gnarly problem, or to accept things I don't want to accept, etc.Stretching is good, even when it hurts. Thank you for this reminder.

Aug 17, 2012 @ 16:29:45

I like how you say your expectations and preconcieved ideas about faith have been stretched. I think this happens to us all at times. lovely post Dawn.

3. Chatty Crone
    Aug 18, 2012 @ 00:18:32

Very good message and idea – I love it and right you are. sandie

4. BARBIE
    Aug 18, 2012 @ 07:21:51

I am not a very flexible person as far as my body is concerned. Stretching comes with a lot of deep groaning. I liken that to the groaning of the spirit as He widens my capacity to receive from Him.

5. Hands to Work, Hearts to God
    Aug 18, 2012 @ 07:30:57

We won't grow in knowing Him without the stretching! I remember once I asked if He could love me more, and He answered with a metaphor comparing me with a tree. If I stretched myself more and more in love and service to others, I would hold more of His love, like a tree beside a running stream would hold more water. Patsy from HeARTworks and papemelroti

6. Tracy
    Aug 18, 2012 @ 13:03:07

Hi Dawn – great post! God certainly knows how to stretch us in all ways. And its good for the body to stretch too. Mine could do with someGod blessTracy

7. Recovering Church Lady
    Aug 18, 2012 @ 16:11:26

Great reminder for me too! Must keep stretching, even if it hurts.

8. Ashley Ditto
    Aug 19, 2012 @ 00:13:50

Wonderful post!

Aug 31, 2012 @ 11:51:06

I should stretch right now too, thanks for reminding me about it with such an amazing article. I really enjoyed browsing through your blog entries.