The Dance

Dance.
I see you dancing before me, my sweet girl.
Completely free.
Those early days you felt unhindered.
Confident. Innocent.
Dance.
I see me, seeing you.
Free, satisfied. What joy in my heart.
I birthed beauty.
A mystery. Beyond words.
It breaks me in half, tears me in two.
Often choices that never beckoned me, shriek out from the sidelines.
Referees in my mind offering up rules, regulations, penalties.
Dance.
We learn together this parent-child relationship.
Awkward like steps to a dance, unknown. Stepping on toes, tears.
Frustrating moments and laughter, too.
The desire to stomp out.
Still stronger the longing to stay, and master each moment.
Pressed close.
This dance…
In case you are unsure about my little writing excursion,
then just head on over to Lisa-Jo’s place:
Five Minute Friday

1. Alia
    Jun 29, 2012 @ 19:07:01

Love this. I can totally picture this. How mother-daughter relationships can be and the whirling free dance of youth. I linked up behind yours at The Gypsy Mama and I'm so glad I did.

2. Recovering Church Lady
    Jun 29, 2012 @ 19:20:01

I love this Dawn. Such a beautiful, complicated and simple dance that we have to learn as we go!

3. Pamela M. Steiner
    Jun 29, 2012 @ 19:49:06

That was really really sweet. I love this…so personal and reflective. I love it.

4. jeskmom
    Jun 29, 2012 @ 21:39:04

Oh my God. Yes, really, I mean that, OH MY GOD–HE gave you this. This powerful gift of poetry, this beautiful life of your daughter, this dance you share with her. The words “I birthed beauty”–they pierce to my heart (to every mother's heart). Yes, Yes, YES!

5. Quotes,Photos and a little Poetry
    Jun 29, 2012 @ 21:55:12

reading this made smile and reflect on some of my own happiness.Thank you and Blessings

6. BARBIE
    Jun 30, 2012 @ 00:16:18

Oh Dawn, this is aboslutely beautiful. Your words are truly a gift!

7. Terra
    Jun 30, 2012 @ 02:45:22

The beautiful dance of being a parent and watching your child grow. You capture it well.

8. Chatty Crone
    Jun 30, 2012 @ 03:55:39

That is so precious. sandie

9. melissac
    Jun 30, 2012 @ 12:53:53

Beautiful description of the relationship between parent and child!! Blessings and Hugs!