No Ordinary Girl (5 Minute Friday-Ordinary)

!function(d,s,id){var js,fjs=d.getElementsByTagName(s)[0];if(!d.getElementById(id)){js=d.createElement(s);js.id=id;js.src=”//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js”;fjs.parentNode.insertBefore(js,fjs);}}(document,”script”,”twitter-wjs”);

Credit
7th Grade. I am standing in a new school, in a new town, in the smallest state in the United States of America. Awkward. Alone. Self-Conscious. Who wears 7th Grade well? I didn’t. It came with tight jeans, hated hair, insecurities that bred while I slept. I loathed my life and felt oh, so ordinary. I walk into this new school which is to me “the big city”. I feel the eyes upon me. New girl. Awkward magnified. How I wish I felt…special. I ask the teacher what to do, as I swim in a sea of unfamiliar faces and halls and realize I am sinking. Just another face. The teacher is not so sensitive to my current circumstance but busy with a million mundane tasks, distracted. Still, she manages to direct me, only mildly annoyed. I stalk the halls wishing I could escape somehow through crevices in the hallway walls. The angst of one thousand ordinary moments longing to be something more than ordinary.
I watch my daughter scale this period in life. She thinks I have no knowledge of puberty or adolescence. I see her struggle and remember too well the pain of the years. Some get by unscathed. Others, escape by grace, look back, head shaking, relieved that those years are but a temporary season.
Come on over and check in on the writing prompt, write for 5 minutes and join the fun!

Five Minute Friday

Linking with these excellent link-ups:

1. 1 of the Creekside Team
    Mar 01, 2013 @ 12:18:49

mmm … some seasons are better left forgotten, yes? thanks for this reflection this morning!Linda

2. Dawn Paoletta
    Mar 01, 2013 @ 14:08:18

Thanks for visiting, Linda! Yes, I want to forget, yet- trying to remember to understand my daughter better!

3. Amy Brock
    Mar 01, 2013 @ 14:17:22

Ah, yes, Jr. High. When my husband and I decided to homeschool, someone asked us if we would ever put our kids into school, our answer was, “well, maybe, but NOT in Jr. High!” We both had horrible experiences in Middle School/Jr. High.

4. Karrilee Aggett
    Mar 01, 2013 @ 18:53:54

Is there ever another time where we can feel any MORE ordinary than in junior high? ah yes… escaped by Grace! Loved this my friend!

5. Tess @ Pro-tography 101
    Mar 01, 2013 @ 19:49:26

I hated junior high! lol

6. Mia De Vries
    Mar 02, 2013 @ 08:24:39

Hi DawnOh, how I remember those years! And let's face the fact that we also thought our mothers knew nothing of our suffering! Have a blessed weekend, dear one.Mia

Mar 02, 2013 @ 11:45:09