What’s On My Nightstand {November}

I have not joined here at What’s on My Nightstand since August
 so I will just link what I finished since that time.
Meanwhile the books keep coming and I am still plugging along at my snail pace.
What I finished:

When To Speak and When to Shut Up by Dr. Michael D. Sedler
Everything by Mary Demuth
The Be-Tween You and God Devotions for Girls by Sandra Byrd
The Jesus Calling Storybook by Sara Lloyd Jones

*All of my Book Reviews are listed under The Contact tab at the top of my blog!

Current Bible Study:
Women of Faith : Encouraging One Another
I am doing this with my Ladies Bible Study at church and although I enjoy the ladies and all we share, I find this particular topical study to be lacking the depth I love from other bible study books/teachers I have used. It is rare for me to share negative comments but I have to say that I would be hesitant to use another of these WOF study booklets (I already have one that someone gave me).
If you are looking for a topical surface study (and let’s face it, it might have been good for me when my girl was a baby and I was grabbing my Bible Study Time on the fly.) without serious depth or additional input/commentary then this might work for you.In my opinion it skims the surface and sometimes the questions are flat and/or unclear.

What I am actually reading:
The Secrets of Intercessory Prayer by Jack Hayford

For the Christmas Season:
God In The Manger: Reflections on Advent and Christmas by Dietrich Bonhoeffer
So looking forward to reading this one!

What is awaiting me on The Nightstand:
Finding God in The Hobbit by Jim Ware (PDF attached)
Breath of Life by Marja Meijers
Chasing Silhouettes by Emily Wierenga
Writing to God” 40 Days of Praying With My Pen by Rachel G. Hackenberg
Bless Back by Julie Saffrin
Poem Crazy by Susan Wooldridge
 Jesus Today by Sarah Young
Bless These Lips by Sharla Fritz
Reach -How To Use Your Social Media Influence For The Glory of God
by Laura Krokos and Angie Pratt

The One Book I Feel I Must Read:
The Life of Pi by Yann Martel

What’s the best book you have read most recently?

What's On Your Nightstand

Nov 27, 2012 @ 12:37:27

Glad you shared.

2. Wayne W Smith
    Nov 27, 2012 @ 14:07:54

That is quite the reading list. Hope you really get to enjoy it.

3. Lisa notes...
    Nov 27, 2012 @ 15:07:35

So many good books in your stack that I'd like to read! Including the Bonhoeffer Christmas book. Didn't know that was out there.I need to get Emily's “Chasing Silhouettes” book, too. Love her and her writings. I read “The Life of Pi” a year or so ago. It was…strange. 🙂 But an interesting read. I do want to see the movie.

4. Carrie
    Nov 27, 2012 @ 16:57:38

You have a lot of interesting and thought-provoking books on your list there. I hadn't heard of God in the Manager but I could only expect great things of that one! I'm going to have to look that one up for sure! So glad you mentioned it.

5. Jen E @ mommablogsalot
    Nov 27, 2012 @ 18:27:32

I keep seeing trailors for the new Life of Pi movie and find myself wishing I'd read the book, maybe I should track down a copy to read soon. Great list!

6. Jennifer Donovan
    Nov 27, 2012 @ 19:03:58

Ooo fun and interesting list!Don't find out too much about LIFE OF PI — just read it, don't read about it. I read it several years ago. It's pretty weird, but I did like it. I hope to see the movie.

7. Cassandra
    Nov 27, 2012 @ 22:14:12

I've read a biography about Bonhoeffer but none of his actual works. I'm sure this will be a good one! Praying the Names of Jesus wasn't in your list but I see it in your photo. I hope you get a chance to read it! I've heard it's a fantastic book. Happy reading!Cassandra

Nov 27, 2012 @ 22:59:06

Had to smile at the first one — we could probably all use that one!The Christmas one sounds very interesting.

9. Ashley Ditto
    Nov 28, 2012 @ 00:03:02

I've been looking for some suggestions! Thank you Dawn!

10. Shonya
    Nov 28, 2012 @ 05:34:46

Great list! I agree with your WOF study guide assessment.

11. Beth
    Nov 28, 2012 @ 07:45:42

The Secrets of Intercessory Prayer look like an interesting read. I have Poem Crazy on my shelf to read, but since I'm not crazy about poems I'm hesitant to read it! I will look for your review.

12. BARBIE
    Nov 29, 2012 @ 04:01:48

I cannot say I've read too much this year. The last book I read a few months ago was Grace for the Good Girl. I must add reading to my schedule in the New Year!

13. morninglight mama
    Dec 02, 2012 @ 22:52:29

I read LIFE OF PI when it came out, and it was a bit weird like Jennifer said, but I remember really enjoying it. The movie looks like it will be visually amazing, but I'm always a bit leery of movie adaptations. :)-Dawn, 5M4B