Grasp {5 Minute Friday}

Wondering if she grasps the scope of what she has done.
I still can’t wrap around it. It’s like a dream.
A bad dream.
It begs the question of where one draws the line between considering doing something to actually doing the something one is considering.
Thirty police officers searching.
Three districts.
Two distraught parents.
One young girl.
What was she thinking?
This girl who does not want to walk one mile in school, who ventured eight miles from home.
Evading all.
Thankfully.
She was safely returned.
Tears of thanks and joy.
Yet, I still wonder and know she does not grasp the scope of it.
But, she claims she will never do it again.

Five Minute Friday

1. Jan Christiansen
    Sep 28, 2012 @ 15:32:30

What a heart-rending story!

2. Recovering Church Lady
    Sep 28, 2012 @ 16:02:40

Most often when I watch the news about “bad” young people I think of the mom and wonder what it must feel like. I can imagine it because my youngest was quite the dare-devil for a time. So sad.

3. jeskmom
    Sep 28, 2012 @ 17:07:16

Such a story brings back much–too much. Of a brother whose leaving was a forever black hole until the day he died, and all the pain of other absences. How does anyone–on either side–get it? Yes, grasp is the right word?

4. Pamela M. Steiner
    Sep 28, 2012 @ 19:56:09

Praying with you as you work through parenting the teen-age years. May God continue to give you courage, patience, peace, strength and wisdom from on High. Pray and Trust. God is in control. ((((hugs))))

Sep 28, 2012 @ 21:54:03

A story that reflects everyone's nightmare of a child/young person going missing and then thank fully found. I lived this for a while when I was younger looking after a younger sibling who ventured away from a friends house-the emotions of terror of the unknown of what could be and then the relief to find them-innocence in wandering away. Hugs to you.

Sep 28, 2012 @ 23:03:54

Such a heart touching post.

7. Diana Denis
    Sep 29, 2012 @ 02:12:21

We recently experienced this in my family. My nephew got lost in a big NYC park. He found a lit spot in the park and waited til the sun came up to try to find his way home. It was a long, scary night. What was he thinking? When he told us, it was almost too much to hear. Their fears almost as terrifying as ours. Thank God that both these stories ended well. Praying for you and, I'm assuming, your daughter? Trusting the Peace Speaker to breathe His perfect peace on you today Dawn.

8. Emily
    Sep 29, 2012 @ 02:39:28

What a poignant post and so well written. Thank you for sharing.