How’s Your Patience Barometer?

Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer
Romans 12:12
Therefore, as God’s chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience.
Colossians 3:12
And we urge you, brothers and sisters, warn those who are idle and disruptive, encourage the disheartened, help the weak, be patient with everyone.
1 Thessalonians 5:14

I’m considering patience today. Not mine of course…but yours. Just kidding. Seriously, as I drove by a sign which read ” Be as patient with others, as God has been with you.”, I contemplated this thought. I thought about how patient God has been, and continues to be with me. Have you considered God’s patience with you as you weary in dealing with the sin and shortcomings of another? Yes, God has been patient with me when I ‘ve been quick to speak, quick to anger and slow to listen. He has forgiven the sin that entangles me again, and again, despite my heart’s desire and good intentions. My grandmother had a saying about those, ya know. She used to say, “The road to hell is paved with good intentions”. BUT,  that road to hell has been occluded by the one who stands at the crossroads – by His blood, arms wide open.

Patience.
Crossroads.
Blood.
Have you considered His patience today?
Do you need to remember it?
I do.
Are your arms and heart wide open enough to embrace, despite the
fact you have forgiven 70 x 70 times before?
Despite the fact you are sick of it?
Despite the fact it is breaking your heart?
Despite the fact that you ARE weary?
Will you turn your back OR will you consider how patient your Jesus,
 has been with you?
Lord, you are patient with me and I confess, I am so impatient with such small things
that in a BLINK will be insignificant. Burned up.
Remind me of your patience with me, Lord so that grace may be abundantly evident in me.
That I may reflect it, as I should, regularly, generously & daily,  in my life.
Thank you Lord, that you never turn your back on me.
In Jesus Name, Amen.
But do not forget this one thing, dear friends:
With the Lord a day is like a thousand years,
and a thousand years are like a day.
The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise,
as some understand slowness.
Instead he is patient with you,
not wanting anyone to perish,
but everyone to come to repentance.
2 Peter 3:8-9

1. Recovering Church Lady
    Oct 25, 2011 @ 19:18:38

A beautiful reminder today! Thank you. I love how you write and how you use the space between your words, it is really powerful and impacting!

2. D L McCarragher
    Oct 25, 2011 @ 19:33:03

Great post Dawn. So grateful that our Lord is longsuffering with us – unlike the way we treat others at times. He never wearies of our human flaws – though He painstakingly guides us into our sanctification day by day. Patience is a virtue and I for one want to emulate my Savior with regards to that one 🙂

3. C. Beth
    Oct 25, 2011 @ 21:07:38

Good reminder for me today. 🙂

4. Pam
    Oct 26, 2011 @ 02:39:06

In the coming days with Dear Son home recovering from dental surgery, I will need to be reminded of this over and over. Patience, like humility, is not one of my strong suits. Thanks for this, Dawn. And I'm with Recovering Church Lady. I love the way you write and how you space your sentences. In the cooking industry, the way you present your food is key. You, my dear, 'plate' your blog offering extremely well and deliciously!Blessings,Pam

5. Melissa Ringsted
    Oct 26, 2011 @ 03:22:21

New follower! Please stop by my blog and return the love! http://thereforyoumelissa.blogspot.com/

6. Kris
    Oct 26, 2011 @ 20:35:18

I'm a new follower. I'm doing the blog hop with Beck Valley Books. Feel free to follow me backhttp://abookfromsnowyriver.blogspot.comKris 🙂

7. quietspirit
    Oct 28, 2011 @ 01:05:49

Dawn: Thank you for your thoughts on this thing called patience. I have a tough time with this. I can be patient about things until someone says something that sets my teeth on edge. Right now, it's just a handful of people-three or four.