A Poet Responds to a Painting

IMG_4073.JPG

Recently I received some fabulous mail from a Canadian friend. It was chock full of the kind of ephemera we journaling types adore.  Canada is celebrating it’s 150th birthday this year but it seems I get the presents. She included a lovely Starbucks Canadian travel mug I have been toting back and forth on my out and about town excursions. One of the exquisite treasures I received was an artist post card. On it was a painting I felt incredibly drawn to, above the many lovely images sent. As I tipped it (taped it with washi tape) into my journal, I was inspired to write a poem.

Poetry continues to be a powerful pathway for me. I believe it is a pathway for  many things, connection, community, and conversation. Art offers the same  to all in its various forms. There is no limit to where the imagination can lead. I  find inspiration in both artwork and artist, so be sure and check out the artist whose work inspired the poem below:  Shannon Ford. I know you will find her work incredible to  see!

Perfect Love Casts Out Fear

Your love, like a bear

rumbles close

looms large

fierce, protective

and I collapse, completely limp

with trust, over your

strong  shoulder

legs hang, feet dangle

despite my fears

I forsake all others

knowing you alone, are faithful

Your love, like a bear

devours my fear

I have no worries, no cares

all is sweet, sticky honey

Who would dare challenge a bear?

Your love like a bear, always perfect

always near.

Thanks so much for joining me on the journey!

Does Art inspire you? Would you like to know more about journaling or poetry as a pathway to creativity, spirituality, wholeness? Let me know what inspires you n the comments below!

Check out other Art inspired work or Artist Collaborations I’ve done:

Renewal

Devil in the Cafe

Join me on Instagram where I share  my journey regularly!

1. RaShea
    Jul 09, 2017 @ 13:22:44

“Who would dare challenge a bear?” Perfect words to take with me this week! So much to ponder, meditate on, take in, and sit with in this. Thank you for sharing!

2. sharongamble
    Jul 09, 2017 @ 13:27:06

I enjoyed pondering this. I should “stop by” more often, Dawn. I always leave encouraged.

3. Susie Klein
    Jul 09, 2017 @ 13:31:35

LOVE this poem inspired by artwork Dawn!

4. Cheryl
    Jul 09, 2017 @ 13:37:13

Yup..who would challenge a bear! Needed those words.

5. Cecelia L. Lester
    Jul 10, 2017 @ 17:55:25

“Always perfect, always near.” That’s the kind of love we all search for. I’ve been trying to get my book ready for publication. Haven’t been staying caught up on other things on the web.

6. manyofus1980
    Jul 11, 2017 @ 00:08:33

Loved this poem I am going to follow you you have a wonderful blog! I write poetry too. I am from ireland and am blind and i have did and ptsd. xo

7. abigail
    Jul 26, 2017 @ 22:00:23

This is beautiful, Dawn. Oh how we depend on that perfect and close love of our God and Saviour. Your poetry lifts my days and has me thinking on the deep and meaty things of life. Thank you. 💓

8. Marjo Thompson
    Sep 27, 2017 @ 12:56:23

What a wonderful post I shall share it with the owner of the painting she’ll be thrilled it inspired you and Shannon will be thrilled to hear it moved you to create! This fb post is at our gallery ‘The Lloyd Gallery’ a few years ago. I’m Marjo Thompson posing with Shannon’s painting I’m not the artist, just manage one of the galleries selling her work. Enjoy the photo of the actual painting! Ps we’ve had 4 solo shows with Shannon and this week we have her latest show hanging… perhaps there are more printings to inspire your creative writing muse. Have a great day!