They Think They Know (Meditation on 1 John)

InstagramCapture_00c7d1f0-3146-474c-8392-cae5e31fe91b

This morning my Bible Reading led me to 1 John. 1 John is a book that continues to produce fruit in me with it’s strong admonitions and specific instruction. There is not a book which is more clear on our identity, relationship and calling out as followers of Jesus. This is a book which does not leave room for man’s opinion, but only for the Holiness of God and the Righteousness of Christ. This morning, I share straight away from my own current journal (may as well use this for Random Journal Day which is coming Friday!) my mind on paper as I penned this poem. May the words I write encourage you to examine this book for yourself today.

This striped journal survived a massive coffee spill, as evidenced on the pages. No worries, journals are for living in and reflecting all of life’s glorious messiness! It also is a bit small to last me long. I am just about finished with it. I do love the colors of this journal and the matching pen, and they both have served their purpose, receiving and releasing all of my thoughts, inspirations, ramblings.

WP_20150429_10_36_31_Pro

Who is it that overcomes the world? Only the one who believes that Jesus is the Son of God. 1 John 5:5

They Think They Know

They think they know

but are deceived

by the loves they serve

and lives they’ve weaved.

They think they know

accepting lies

from wolves in fleece.

They think they know

secret things,

hidden truths

each mystery brings.

Instead they follow dead end roads,

growing weary

under heavy loads-

that you, my God,

long to take

and lead anew

for mercy’s sake

Yet, they go on with stiffened neck

limping  along paths

they direct.

All the while circling the light,

cloistered  in darkness

lost in the fight

They’re

Tattered, battered, shackled and bruised-

reliant on self, hopeless, confused-

clinging tight to death and sin that wreaks,

and noise that deafens, the blind that speak.

This whole world belongs to the evil one,

when will they turn to God’s only Son?

They think they know,

they say He came,

they acknowledge His life

and know His name.

Alone it is not enough, I say-

to claim the truth

but not the Way-

For Jesus is our Advocate

from the hand of God,

heaven sent-

I write today,

I proclaim His name

for He changed my life-

I’m not the same.

He offers this to all who live,

dependent on Him

their life to give.

If you claim to know Him,

you better take care,

to read the Word,

and then to dare-

to live His way

in trust not fear-

and to love your brother,

whether far or near.

©2015 Dawn Paoletta

We know that we are children of God, and that the whole world is under the control of the evil one. We know also that the Son of God has come and has given us understanding, so that we may know him who is true. And we are in him who is true by being in his Son Jesus Christ. He is the true God and eternal life.

Dear children, keep yourselves from idols. 1 John 5:19-21

WP_20150429_11_45_06_Pro

Join in all weekend (Friday through Monday) for Random Journal Day. We take a peek in our journal archives. Due to laziness I decided to just share the most recent journal. BUT,  feel free to join in with any journal you feel comfortable sharing! Hope to see you there.

Random Journal Day

1. Barbara
    Apr 29, 2015 @ 12:44:09

Oh my, Dawn! This poem has just spoken LOUD AND CLEAR to me!!! I “think” I know; I “claim” I know…but DO I REALLY know…the ONE who “changed my life”!

Thank you for sharing this Book from the Bible…I think I need to go read it!!

• enthusiasticallydawn
      Apr 29, 2015 @ 13:32:31

God has used it many times to draw me back to His truth and priorities for me. Savor it- we will be visiting it (unless God directs otherwise) during Journal Your Journey with Jesus! Like a sneak peak…;)

2. astonegatherer
    Apr 29, 2015 @ 14:19:43

Beautiful poem my friend!!

3. thatsnoscrapMavis001
    Apr 29, 2015 @ 17:23:56

Looking forward to the journey! Thus will be my first REAL attempt at consistent journaling!

4. Cassie
    Apr 30, 2015 @ 10:26:42

Absolute Truth and beautiful poetry. Thank you for posting Dawn! 🙂 Loved this stanza:
    “Tattered, battered, shackled and bruised-
    reliant on self, hopeless, confused-
    clinging tight to death and sin that wreaks,
    and noise that deafens, the blind that speak.”

-If only people realized how much pain goes along with self-reliance and sin. (Myself included)

• enthusiasticallydawn
      Apr 30, 2015 @ 14:39:00

I speak out of much experience, my friend. MUCH…I know what it is like on both sides of the fence. I have found peace and safety on the side with The Shepherd. Thank you for your words. 😉

5. abigail
    Apr 30, 2015 @ 11:19:04

What a beautiful poem, and a timely message for me. Thank you.
    I am also looking forward to May 4 and the Journal Your Journey opportunity. Is there anything we could/should be doing in preparation for that?

• enthusiasticallydawn
      Apr 30, 2015 @ 14:37:24

Hi Abigail, I will be sharing another post about that by Saturday and also I will be doing a Journal Consecration exercise…which is just praying over our journals that we will use…even if it is one you are already using. If you go to the top Tabs and hover over journaling you will see the Journaling the Journey with Jesus Tab and it spells out all you need…really, a Bible, Journal, and Pen …and is what you need. ANd a heart prepared to meet with Jesus.

6. Terri
    May 01, 2015 @ 07:49:27

WOW! Is all I have Dawn that’s a beautiful poem and so relevant. Its clear that came from a place in your heart that the Lord had reserved for this time. Thanks again for food for thought and helping me to prioritize my day. Many people know “of” him but do not know him. Christ longs for us to know him as a friend for he calls those who know him dear friends.

7. Cecelia Lester
    May 01, 2015 @ 23:59:18

Dawn: You have good thoughts here. Out in the midwest, we say a person should ‘walk the walk as well as talk the talk.’

8. kelrohlf
    May 03, 2015 @ 21:36:35

Dawn- Thank you first of all for keeping RJD open through the weekend…life is super crazy good over here, so I just now got to the link-up. Second of all…you rock the poetry response to God’s word! Love the rhythm of this heartfelt searching poem that reveals your heart’s desire to live close to God and your heartache for those who are hidden in the dark…and a Journaling Journey…woo hoo! I have been needing something fresh to boost my time with God…Yay I only have to wait until tomorrow!

• enthusiasticallydawn
      May 03, 2015 @ 22:07:35

Oh, Kel- I so look forward to your journal shares…and all your shares! Thanks for squeezing in here despite the BUSY ness! And I am wrapping up the Consecrate Your Journal post right no…it will be up hopefully by 11! Get your journal ready , my friend- the journey begins tomorrow…I bet you have a few journals waiting for the chance to receive your words…Hugs!