Blindness or Solitude

origin_347361866

I can’t see you

Can you hear me?

Sweater scratches at my skin

Crackling in my ear

from every crinkled paper I hear

Ongoing babble of the tube,

Crowds out the beautiful silence

Of humming cars,

Purring cat,

Creaking chair…

Give me solitude – not the crowd

Give me quiet, instead of loud

Give me the veil, not the shroud

I’ll take the rainbow, you keep the cloud.

I can’t hear you-

Can you see me?

Linking up with dVerse and Lisa-Jo Baker for a combination of prompts!

The Blind Poet at dVerse and 5 Minute Friday: Crowd

I found the photo after a quick browse through photopin.

photo credit: Frederic Poirot via photopin cc

1. Jennifer Mullen
    Mar 14, 2014 @ 23:11:25

It has been to long since I have explored my poetic side. Love it! Thanks for stopping by coffeewithjen.com. From FMF.

2. billgncs
    Mar 14, 2014 @ 23:14:04

I see you, and I like this poem 🙂

3. Loredana Donovan
    Mar 14, 2014 @ 23:21:11

Some cool lines in this … solitude not crowd, rainbow not cloud, soft rhymes and nice imagery. Thank you for the visit. I actually live in NY but am not too far from the ocean. Love the New England coast 🙂

4. brian miller
    Mar 14, 2014 @ 23:54:57

it is hard to find that kind of quiet….that true solitude….but i find when i still myself i hear the things that bring me peace…even the creak of that chair….smiles…smallness…

5. claudia
    Mar 15, 2014 @ 05:06:30

haha…what a cool pic… and finding those quiet spots where the soul comes to rest is not always easy in our loud and active environment… good to have these small islands…and yes on the rainbow…smiles

6. Mary
    Mar 15, 2014 @ 08:57:25

Nice! It seems there are really very few places where one can achieve THAT kind of quiet!! (What a fun picture!)

7. rmp
    Mar 15, 2014 @ 09:26:30

I wouldn’t mind a little solitude…quite…or rainbow myself…crowds are overrated. I might just have to try pulling a sweater up over my head. nice write.

8. Ginny Brannan
    Mar 15, 2014 @ 10:01:03

These essence of these four lines really captured this for me:
    “Give me solitude – not the crowd
    Give me quiet, instead of loud
    Give me the veil, not the shroud
    I’ll take the rainbow, you keep the cloud.’
    Nicely written piece indeed.

9. shanyns
    Mar 15, 2014 @ 12:10:20

You are on a roll! Love your take on this. Well done my friend. 🙂

10. richelle @ "our wright"-ing pad
    Mar 15, 2014 @ 16:25:18

gotta say… it was your thumbnail pic that caught my eye and caused me to click over here. i was intrigued.

so impressed by those who can churn out poetry like you’ve done here. good job!

11. lynndiane
    Mar 15, 2014 @ 18:08:10

Oh, somedays don’t we all want to zip up our turtleneck sweater past our eyeballs and hide?! I like what we can hear when we’re quiet…

12. lucychili
    Mar 15, 2014 @ 19:51:19

i guess that is a nice thing about poetry online, it is not noisy broadcast like tv, something you can visit quietly and the words evoke sound

13. Sam
    Mar 15, 2014 @ 22:09:22

Great poem dear friend; great use of imagery! Thanks for the visit yesterday!

14. Lila
    Mar 16, 2014 @ 22:33:59

I can relate to that need for quiet and solitude. Nicely done on “the veil and not the shroud” .. Smiles. A pondering and then a request for solitude, not isolation.

15. Abhra Pal
    Mar 17, 2014 @ 08:56:30

First of all – I must say that I like the visual and yes the absence of visual senses have come out so nicely on the poem. Very well done on the theme.

16. shortybear
    Mar 19, 2014 @ 08:32:33

Love this poem, very good.