Edge of The Abyss

origin_9925130055

“If you look too long into the Abyss, the Abyss looks into you”  Frederick Nietzche

I stand,

wondering…

Do I dare?

Will I become

darkness or glory

in the descent.

©Dawn Paoletta

Sharing with dVerse for Open Link Night– a glorious night for poets of all persuasions!

photo credit: fiddleoak via photopin cc

1. shanyns
    Feb 11, 2014 @ 14:59:27

This could be one of your best poems ever. The close is so powerful. You rocked it girl, totally rocked it!

2. Björn Rudberg (brudberg)
    Feb 11, 2014 @ 15:23:17

What a wonderful realization.. staring into the abyss.. isn’t that what we need to do sometimes? face it? even dare to go there?… I love the word abyss.

3. brian miller
    Feb 11, 2014 @ 15:27:36

whew…what a last question….hopefully our intentions are honored when we take that step…instense piece…perhaps faith makes a difference when we take that step eh?

4. claudia
    Feb 11, 2014 @ 15:35:22

that is a cool quote – and it happened to me once literally – on an abseiling event – i went last and the longer i stared down the worse it got..it stared back..yep

5. mdoallas
    Feb 11, 2014 @ 15:52:29

Your form mimed the looking down. Interesting that you present a choice: darkness or glory.

6. Mary
    Feb 11, 2014 @ 17:15:39

Quite a question….darkness or glory…one would hope for glory. But it would take a lot to make that leap of faith, especially if one didn’t know until one jumped.

7. Gabriella
    Feb 11, 2014 @ 17:15:42

Very vivid poem, Dawn! I enjoyed the way you expressed the attraction to the abyss, both repulsive and tempting.

8. scotthastiepoet
    Feb 11, 2014 @ 17:19:14

Hiya Dawn, good to be here… That quote from the man himself has always stuck in my mind too and your piece here is pretty perfect… With Best Wishes Scottt

9. Sharp Little Pencil
    Feb 11, 2014 @ 17:34:42

Dawn, your echo of Nietzsche is haunting… staring into the abyss, indeed. You are brave to teeter on the edge; I am always wary I’ll be swallowed up. An exquisite poem, my dear.

Thanks for youor kind words at my blog, too! Amy

10. Grace
    Feb 11, 2014 @ 17:41:03

I like that quote from Nietzsche ~ We will never know until we dare to jump & try it, don’t we ~

11. wolfsrosebud
    Feb 11, 2014 @ 19:17:41

loved the picture… power in the words… so you weren’t kidding with your comment on my blog… LOL

12. Morgan
    Feb 11, 2014 @ 20:09:20

I’ve always loved that Quote and you ve paired it with a perfectly marvelous poem! Remarkable 🙂

13. katiemiafrederick
    Feb 11, 2014 @ 22:12:04

i looked at the abyss..and ran as fast as i could..
    and no longer could move my feet or hands..
    i lay still..and paper felt..no longer feeling..
    pain .. or even weight between the sheets…

The death of abyss..is a long way home..
    but hope for bliss..
    is always just.. a now..
    oneforevermore…as
    NOW..the truth thank GOD.

is not abyss…
    forevermore once again
    IS BLISS IS
    NOW

14. kamana
    Feb 12, 2014 @ 08:21:04

powerful ending

15. Colleen@LooseLeafNotes
    Feb 12, 2014 @ 10:28:03

Great questions, darkness or glory. Makes me wonder about ascent.

16. Tina Downey
    Feb 12, 2014 @ 10:43:20

I’m staring into my own abyss right now. (I agree with Björn – great word). Feel like just free-falling, but will perhaps wait. Maybe this too shall pass.
    Lovely capture of exactly where I am right now. Thank you for that.
    Tina @ Life is Good

17. tigerbrite
    Feb 12, 2014 @ 10:47:23

A stunning poem and similar in subject to my own. You don’t have to jump, it’s not a pleasant place, there is way over through Daath 🙂

18. hisfirefly
    Feb 12, 2014 @ 18:18:16

glory
    in His hands!

19. Trackback: A Midsummer’s Day Dream (Soul Weariness) | Enthusiastically, Dawn
  20. Trackback: Random Acts of Poetry Day (I know, right?) | Enthusiastically, Dawn
  21. Trackback: 4 Seasons of the Writing Life: Season 1- Contemplative | Enthusiastically, Dawn