Her Soul’s Prison

Credit

Muscles
built big enough
to protect her from pain
strong enough
tough enough
solid
walls
Surrounding her heart
Shelter
Courageous Armour
to hide
the teary eyed princess child
peering through
bars
she’s created…
Walls of protection
become a
 prison
for the soul…
A note: I came across this poem while de-cluttering this weekend. I wrote it when I was in my 20’s- like a hundred years ago. Does anyone else just write poems everywhere? Slips of paper with scribbled words are not an uncommon discovery around here! Poetry is both art and more importantly to me, (inexpensive) therapy!
Linking with dVerse for OLN!
Poets and Prose lovers welcome.

1. Claudia
    Jan 14, 2014 @ 20:49:02

how cool to discover poems you've written years back… i think it must be wonderful to re-read and i bet it just transports you back into the moment… defense builds a prison.. there was a time in my life when i tried to shut out pain by building walls… then realized… it shuts out life as well… still learning…smiles

2. Brian Miller
    Jan 14, 2014 @ 20:49:47

how quickly they can turn around on you eh? our hedges of protection become our prison…true enough…

3. Björn
    Jan 14, 2014 @ 21:03:56

The fact that we put ourselves in prison… to be protected we put those boundaries… great thought.. and so great to find old poetry that way

4. Mary
    Jan 14, 2014 @ 21:06:01

Oh, this is good. Shows the feeling of a young person, I think, feeling the need for self protection. Nice that you were able to write poetry at that time, as a way to deal with what you felt to be a prison. I wrote poetry back then too…which eventually became part of an early poetry book I made. I am glad I collected them, even if they came from a much different time in my life.

5. Kenia Cris
    Jan 14, 2014 @ 21:17:31

I'm glad you found it because this is a gift to anyone who visits. It seems often true that the more we try to protect ourselves, the more lonely we'll end up. Go into the world. ❤

6. quietspirit
    Jan 14, 2014 @ 21:51:49

Dawn: Each of us has writings that appear like out of nowhere from time to time. You have some very personal thoughts here.

7. Gabriella
    Jan 14, 2014 @ 22:01:07

We do create pour own prisons and put ourselves behind bars. Yet I reckon that acknowledging it is the first step towards being able to free one's self.

8. Robert Bourne
    Jan 14, 2014 @ 22:06:43

a good message weaved into words… we so often build walls and lock doors… much to the detriment of our inner selves…

9. colleen
    Jan 14, 2014 @ 22:23:51

It's beautiful (the photo and image created) but eventually she will want to go outside! How about “at ease” or “well” instead of “happy.”

Jan 14, 2014 @ 22:26:23

Oh gosh, yes! I write them on napkins, post-its, the margins of well-loved books and in journals. I'm often pleased or mortified by the excavation of an unsearched for piece of work. Glad to see I'm not alone in this strange habit.

11. Heaven
    Jan 14, 2014 @ 23:04:25

How neat to discover those old poems ~ Those protection can also be like prison bars, it works both ways ~ Thanks for sharing ~

12. Noelle the dreamer
    Jan 15, 2014 @ 01:37:33

I said it before, I stop by just to listen to the ocean but this poem was well worth a stop! What a photo too! You have my imagination running! Thanks for sharing and Happy 2014!

13. HisFireFly
    Jan 15, 2014 @ 01:55:03

well saidwhen we put up wallswe seal ourselves in prison…

14. Ronald Shields
    Jan 15, 2014 @ 02:10:35

Well I've never discovered an old poem as good as this one. I like it very much.

15. Stacy
    Jan 15, 2014 @ 02:36:28

I haven't written a poem in years, but I can identify with your 20-something self. Oh, those prison walls…

16. Katie
    Jan 15, 2014 @ 03:37:12

Nice find. I really love this, very simplistic on the surface but cuts deep. 🙂 I'm with you, I write poems on random things all the time if my notebook isn't within arm's reach.

Jan 15, 2014 @ 20:29:59

Much truth here; those walls we create to protect ourselves too often become prisons that we struggle to escape. Nice writing, Dawn.

18. Pealogic
    Jan 15, 2014 @ 21:28:13

Wow, that's a lesson for us all. CiaoPea