Return to Dust

to soar I must.
At last I will fly,
unseen,
 to the sky
carried higher and higher,
beyond the mind’s eye.
At last, I will be truly free
from wounds inflicted
bodily,
mentally,
emotionally.
At last, I will be truly free.
Free from the earth, land and sea,
walking on the shores of immortality.
At last, I will be truly free,
forever to live eternally.

At last I will be truly free,
return to the dust-
obscurity.

Linking with my friends over at dVerse.

and Emily for Imperfect Prose:

1. Recovering Church Lady
    Dec 10, 2013 @ 19:31:04

Beautiful and haunting.

2. Claudia
    Dec 10, 2013 @ 20:00:41

my MOL always wants her ashes to be strewn from a boat into the river… sounds comforting to me but is illegal over here…so..

3. Dawn Paoletta
    Dec 10, 2013 @ 22:21:31

Claudia, We did that with my Grandmother by her last wishes in a place I shan't disclose…for the same reason.Happy OLN!

4. Brian Miller
    Dec 10, 2013 @ 23:05:56

wow the repetition works really powerfully in this dawn…and to dust we will return…and then perhaps then we will fly….the trusting of the earth i thought powerful as well…

5. Audrey Howitt aka Divalounger
    Dec 10, 2013 @ 23:57:21

The repetition works so well here–just a wonderful write!

6. colleen
    Dec 11, 2013 @ 00:10:25

Kind of comforting and scary at the same time! I like the rhythm of the repeating lines, keeping beat with the movement of the poem.

7. Mary
    Dec 11, 2013 @ 00:19:14

There is indeed beauty in returning to the dust of the earth. Your poem leads me to believe that death is nothing to fear. However, everything in its own time, and I'm not ready yet. Smiles.

8. Dawn Paoletta
    Dec 11, 2013 @ 00:25:02

Mary, I popped back over to your place and wanted to congratulate you on your recent Lulu publication ! Sorry I missed that on the first visit. Congrats!

9. Heaven
    Dec 11, 2013 @ 01:39:28

The repetitive verses give this power ~ An ode to living life to the fullest, never afraid of death ~

10. Mama Zen
    Dec 11, 2013 @ 01:42:48

Nicely done! The repetition works beautifully.

11. Anthony Desmond
    Dec 11, 2013 @ 03:01:38

very powerful piece… I truly believe that we as human beings have a deeper connection to the earth than we're aware of… and when our souls leave, the body and earth finally become one… I love the sounds of crashing waters on here as well… when it first started it scared me and I thought my laptop was about to burst into flames tho… smiles.

12. Dawn Paoletta
    Dec 11, 2013 @ 14:07:30

Anthony, that cracked me up! Thanks for coming by!

13. Lisa notes...
    Dec 11, 2013 @ 16:18:38

You inspire me to try poetry. I know I don't have the gift with it that you do, but there's something so central to finding the best words to express what you want to say. You do it well, friend! Thanks for sharing it with us.

14. Björn
    Dec 11, 2013 @ 20:07:45

The power of this lies both in its presentation and in the message.. of being totally free and without care and soar as dust… a powerful image.

15. Pamela M. Steiner
    Dec 12, 2013 @ 00:23:00

You are a gifted poet. Thank you for this today. I read a lot in between the lines…but it's all good. The wonderful thing is, although our body may return to the dust of the earth…our spirit will live forever…where there is no pain, sorrow, or DUST!

16. Dolly @Soulstops
    Dec 12, 2013 @ 01:39:45

Dawn,Love the repetition of “truly free” and the imagery of freedom…Thanks for sharing your gift 🙂