The Green Hat {A Love Letter To My Girl}

…but let your adorning be the hidden person of the heart with the imperishable beauty
of a gentle and quiet spirit, which in God’s sight is very precious.
1 Peter 3:4
My Girl,
How I love you more than words can ever express.
How is it that in motherhood God has so captured
His own inexpressible love and squeezes it out in tears and hugs daily?
I can’t even grasp the depth of my love toward you and yet I know it is, indeed finite.
 It is limited, this love I have for you my sweet girl.
 I have dipped my fingertip into the pool of inexhaustible love that never sleeps nor grows weary,
 and I suspect I have felt a portion of it coursing through my veins, welling up in my heart at times.
Yet I do grow weary at times.
I want to apologize in advance for the mistakes I know I will make along this journey.
Have already made.
I wish I could be perfect for you.
 The perfect mother I never had, that none of us have, can ever have.
It is impossible, my dear one.
Those are shoes that only One should ever fill.
I fear it is not even a good desire.
The fact is I do grow weary, am imperfect and will fail you.
Oh, I pray not.
 But I know better.
I know that you in your youth have already spotted my weaknesses.
Some are glaring flaws that prowl like tigers.
Others are just my own buried wounds and scars forgotten,
but tender to the touch. Exposed in the heat of the moment.
I am after all being transformed and conformed. I don’t have all the answers.
Even still. I do have this one thing, a confidence in the one who knit you together in my womb.
 This same One who promised to never leave, nor forsake me, though every other human possibly could.
 I don’t have confidence in myself, I just have no place to get it from but Him.
 I trust in this, that He promises to lead those who have young.
That if all else fails, you can count on this.
His love never fails.
If you turn from me,
harden your heart towards Him and
turn from all I have dreamed for you…
I will trust in His goodness.
Not my wonderful parenting, not my ability to give you the life I never had, not my excellent mothering skills, not the hope that you will do what I think you should.
I come to the table with empty hands. But with these hands I can pray, I can praise and seek Him who is seeking you and pursing you before you even desire to return His love.
 I am fully confident in the fact that this love that wells up within me as life itself is a down payment on the bigger transaction of grace taking place in the quietness of my soul.
I am bought with a price and my love for you is tapped
right into that bigger reservoir of eternal love.
Not wasted. Precious. Pure and Holy.
I want more than ever for you to feel beautiful, because it is already true.
 That He has created you, and I wish upon wish upon hope, that you would feel beautiful.
Because even He is beautiful.
It is His beauty that has transformed me to the woman of grace that I am continuing to become.
That you can become. How I remember the days you felt beautiful, in your innocence.
 How you burst through the rooms of our home in dresses and tutus and scathing beauty.Unashamed. But age brings the knowledge of the unholy and the world competes for your allegiance.
It hurts my heart when you lean that way and I see you feeling less beautiful.
Because it is not true. You are beautiful.
You are loved.
You are precious.
You were birthed in beauty, because
He created you- kissed your precious face right their in that hidden place.
Saw you swaddled in embryonic fluid and adored you right there fully.
Beautiful.
The memories of you already fill me to the brim.
 A million snapshot moments, stream through my mind.
I remember our shopping day a few years back…and the momentary joy of a green hat.
Your smile filled the room, beauty glowing forth. Confident.
We snapped a picture, moment in time. One moment. One hat.
Maybe you will forget that moment in time.
But I saw something in your eye that I wished I could keep for you to give back to you when you feel beauty abandons you.
You felt beautiful.
But I have found my Green Hat.
The One who is Beauty itself.
 The One who’s Beauty is without blemish and unfading.
And if I could just give it to you I would.
But unlike the green hat on the clearance table we passed up that day…
eleven dollars of motherly regret.
Beauty that would fade in time anyway.
His hat of grace is available when you are ready to receive it.
He will adorn you with imperishable beauty and
 you will be secure in His fit.
You are precious in His sight.
Beautiful.
I love you, and you will always be my sweet, little girl.

1. Jennifer Dougan
    Sep 05, 2012 @ 18:01:37

Dawn, How fun to peak into your life again. I am hopping over from Imperfect Prose. “The mistakes I will make, have made…” –yes, but he is so gracious and joyous, isn't he? And they forget, or see us model apologizing too. Humbly thankful too, Jennifer Dougan http://www.jenniferdougan.com

2. Modern Day Disciple
    Sep 05, 2012 @ 18:06:02

Hello, Dear Jennifer! So nice to see you again…and I appreciate your encouragement! He is gracious, and joyous! I miss the easier days! Much rather the days of running through the house in tutus as opposed to just scathing through…lol. In His Grace, Dawn

3. Recovering Church Lady
    Sep 05, 2012 @ 18:07:19

Love this so much!

4. Modern Day Disciple
    Sep 05, 2012 @ 18:12:41

Thank you, Susie. Actually Bonnie at Faith Barista's writing prompt this week is to write a letter to someone we love…for tomorrow. Ish.

5. Sadee Schilling
    Sep 05, 2012 @ 19:26:35

“I have dipped my fingertip into the pool of inexhaustible love that never sleeps nor grows weary.” Beautiful, beautiful. Must read this again–I have two little girls of my own and oh how I already know some of these feelings. Thank you!

6. suzannah | the smitten word
    Sep 06, 2012 @ 04:51:36

you've captured the exquisite tenderness, love, and heart-catching pain of parenthood perfectly. he does gently lead those who have young…resting in that right now. thanks.

7. Modern Day Disciple
    Sep 06, 2012 @ 12:03:05

Sadee, thanks for dropping in. All girls are beautiful in Him. Hanging onto grace with you!

8. Modern Day Disciple
    Sep 06, 2012 @ 12:03:40

Thanks, Suzannah- I am resting in that truth too! 😉

Sep 06, 2012 @ 12:39:19

I would have loved to receive this from my mom. Beautiful letter.

10. Jennifer
    Sep 06, 2012 @ 17:05:18

Dawn, beautiful letter. There's so much depth in it. You daughter is blessed to have a mom who points her to our Lord Jesus Christ for significance. Beauty is ill-defined in our world, but you have perfectly written a post to dispell the lies.

11. Tanya
    Sep 06, 2012 @ 19:01:49

What a beautiful letter! I'm going to have to read it again. My daughter just turned 16! I'm learning to let go a little bit at a time. Thanks for sharing. Thanks for stopping by my blog the other day!

12. Carrie Burtt
    Sep 06, 2012 @ 20:52:55

What a beautiful tribute to the love you have for your daughter….truly inspiring! 🙂

13. Brian Miller
    Sep 06, 2012 @ 21:16:10

i love that you acknowledge you dont have all the answers…and kids do see our flaws…and you know that is part of parenting….i was just at rachels spot saying the same….a great opp for us to teach grace and forgiveness…smiles….

14. Caroline
    Sep 07, 2012 @ 05:24:21

So much in this post. Yes, it's impossible to be the perfect parent, and with reason, too.And, yes, we are all beautiful and loved by Him – and it's amazing.

15. Heather
    Sep 09, 2012 @ 03:02:04

What an amazing letter to write to your daughter…ugh, will she read it? Have you read this to her or allowed her to read this here? You are an amazing mother. This is perhaps the most wonderful thing I have ever read from a mother to a daughter.

16. Emily Wierenga
    Sep 09, 2012 @ 20:27:10

oh girl… thank you so much for sharing this. if i were your daughter i would print this off and keep it between the pages of my bible forever.