How Do You Say Goodbye?

For none of us lives to himself alone and none of us dies to himself alone. If we live, we live to the Lord; and if we die, we die to the Lord. So, whether we live or die, we belong to the Lord.
Romans 14:7-9

How do you say goodbye,
to the one you have looked in the eye?
Who has thrown your first ball,
watched you grow tall,
tasted your first apple pie.
How do you say goodbye,
when the tears muffled, cause but a sigh?
When you sit and count  hours and breaths
wondering why any, at all must die.
How do you say goodbye,
to a marriage, a dad, or a man?
Who has held you together,
with the calm of his way-
reached out to hold your hand?
How do you say goodbye,
to the husband, the friend, the one?
Who stayed through the years,
through laughter and tears,
the raising of each precious son?
How do you say goodbye,
to the man who spun you around?
Whimsical swirl, magical twirl
feet never touching the ground.
How do you say goodbye,
to a lifetime friend?
From first grade to marriage
wives, cars and
baby carriage,
a friend from beginning to end.
How do you say goodbye
to a sister, a brother, a love?
Each passing year,
with love and with care-
tenderness snug as a glove.
How do you say goodbye,
to a leader, a father, a grand?
Dedicated, gentle, smiling,
remember now, if you can.
Hang onto the man you remember,
hang onto the man that you know,
hang onto his memory, dear ones,
in our hearts his memory does glow.
Dedicated to the family and friends, and all who know and love Angelo Paoletta.

Clinging to this memory of my  Father In Law twirling me around the dance floor on my wedding day, leading me, smiling and so full of life.
He dances on in my memory and heart forever.

Friends, I will be taking a blogging break during this time – however your understanding, patience and prayers are appreciated. Although I may not respond consistently during this time- I do get your comments right to my phone and e-mails, I am grateful for your kind words and friendship.

God Bless you my friends.

1. Tammy
    Apr 28, 2012 @ 22:22:03

I am so sorry for your loss. Praying for you and your family.

2. Recovering Church Lady
    Apr 28, 2012 @ 22:22:05

Bless you sweet Dawn. This is a wonderful tribute. I pray that your time will be refreshing even though sad. May there be joyful moments to soften the rough ones.

3. Pam
    Apr 28, 2012 @ 22:30:35

Oh my dear friend!!! My heart goes out to you, your husband and your daughter. What a beautiful and fitting tribute to an obviously wonderful, sweet, loving and much-loved man. May you all feel Abba's comforting presence, holding you close to His heart, in the coming days and weeks….I love you, Dawn. <3Pam

4. jeskmom
    Apr 28, 2012 @ 22:43:08

There are no words…only a sacramental silence–but I (via the blogging world) sit quietly with you and your loved ones while you mourn.

5. Stacy
    Apr 29, 2012 @ 01:29:46

What a beautiful poem and just that one line about your father-in-law on your wedding day painted such a vivid picture of the kind of man he must have been. :)My deepest sympathy to you and the family. Please know I'll be remembering you all in prayer.

6. C. Beth
    Apr 29, 2012 @ 02:05:57

I'm so sorry for your loss, Dawn! God bless you and your husband and family during this time.

7. BARBIE
    Apr 29, 2012 @ 06:18:21

I am so sorry Dawn. I will be remembering your family in my prayers. This is such a beautiful tribute.

8. melissac
    Apr 29, 2012 @ 19:33:09

Dawn, I am so sorry for your loss!! Your tribute is beautiful, I can tell from your words that your father in law was definitely an incredible man!! You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers!! Hugs!!

9. Walking on Sunshine...
    Apr 30, 2012 @ 22:41:39

Terribly sorry you're going through this sadness! Thinking and praying for you and your hubby's family!

10. Chatty Crone
    May 01, 2012 @ 01:14:02

I am so sorry about the loss of your father in law – prayers for all of you. sandie

11. Kathryn Ross
    May 02, 2012 @ 12:31:55

So sorry for your loss. Your tribute here is touching. May the Lord comfort you in His mercies and grace during this time. Be ye blessed . . .Kathy

12. The Paper Princess
    May 02, 2012 @ 16:19:07

Dear Dawn,I am SO very sorry for your loss. I pray that God upholds and uplifts you during this time. Your tribute was beautiful. I look forward to your return.Sweet hugsRamonaCreate With Joyhttp://create-with-joy.com