Rebel Christian Chick

Photo Credit: National Geographic
I know I said I would be blogging less and focusing on my “Baby” but I have Writer’s Diarrhea this week! SO humor me, please! Don’t be mad- I just have to share with my blog friends! And yes, the Baby got put in the crib for the week between job searching and other writing…ahem.
Rebel Christian Chick
Pardon me,
perhaps you have me confused
with one of those,
um, ya know-
one of “them”.
I really wish I was, but I’m not.
I’m me.
My heart is set
on things I can’t see,
I long for that which
has taken hold of me.
An unseen realm-
sweet,
beautiful
mystery.
So I sit at His feet,
and quietly trust-
though the dishes are piled and
I really should dust.
Every day is not a race
to complete
a To Do list,
and pedicured feet-
I can’t compete.
I’m me.
It’s not that I’m jealous
of those together kind of gals,
that sweet, smiling bunch
of Proverbs 31 pals.
OK, maybe a teeny bit.
For honesty’s sake.
It’s just…well,
I’m me.
My counters aren’t clear,
the sink doesn’t shine
but my spirit does soar
Does Jesus mind?
I am getting better, I have to admit-
but surely
I can’t fit
into a tight mold
of wash, dry and fold
perfectly
put away
 for approval.
So I cook and clean, in my perfect mess,
and hope and pray
somehow I bless
the ones I love,
with my imperfect best-
I’m me.
I confess
I get stressed
when I compare myself with you-
with your shiny counters, and fur free floors,
and your spotless baseboards
and your worthy cause.
I’m not all that,
I’m me.
So I step away
from the comparison trap,
seek His face
His word, my map-
Grateful for His presence,
and faithfulness-
birthed in his love,
to receive His best.
I ponder His grace,
seeking His trace,
I may be a rebel but I know my place.
I’m me.
I belong to Him.
My house may not be perfectly kept
but my heart’s housekeeper
keeps me clean from within.
I am swept into His new mercies daily,
kept by His grace,
cleansed by His blood-
enchanted with His face.
I may be a rebel but I know my place.
She stood behind Jesus and cried at his feet. She began to wet his feet with her tears. Then she wiped them with her hair. She kissed them and poured perfume on them.
Luke 7:37-38
©Dawn Paoletta
Linking up with my dear, bloggy friend Shanyn at Strawberry Roan for
her new “Free To Breathe” Christian Poetry link-up!
Grab your pen, write and share your poetic heart every Wednesday.
Also linking up with Shah’s Weekend Creation Blog Hop.

Strawberry Roan

1. Recovering Church Lady
    Mar 03, 2012 @ 01:19:59

Wow Dawn, I love you! I really do! These words reveal who you are and who you are is simply LOVELY! Wow, beautiful poetry from a beautiful heart.

2. Chatty Crone
    Mar 03, 2012 @ 01:33:45

I think I am a lot like you or you are a lot like me! sandie

Mar 03, 2012 @ 01:53:36

Love the Chicks and the Beautiful Poem! Pam Mosher

4. carissa at lowercase letters
    Mar 03, 2012 @ 05:12:30

oh wow. you are good. amazing poem.

5. Shah Wharton
    Mar 03, 2012 @ 08:14:43

Beautiful poem Dawn. I'm so not a dishes person either 🙂 PS: You needed to pop this link into the blog hop linky on todays post, not on the Wednesdays Storyteller comments section. I'll do it for you this time though. Otherwise no one will find it. Or they'll think its supposed to answer the Storyteller prompt, and judge it wrongly. Have a great weekend Dawn. X

6. Dawn
    Mar 03, 2012 @ 13:29:32

Simply wonderful, like you!

7. Mystic_Mom
    Mar 03, 2012 @ 15:27:03

Thank you for linking up and sharing, what a blessing your poetry is! Wonderfully done my sister!

8. Heather
    Mar 03, 2012 @ 16:00:55

I love that! And I actually really needed to hear that. “Its not a race to complete a to do list”. I try so hard every day to complete a to do list and at the end of the day I count all my failures instead of all my successes. Did you write this?I read this poem last night when I went to sleep:”Cleaning and scrubbingcan wait til tomorrow,for babies grow up,we've learned to our sorrow.So settle down cobwebs. Dust go to sleep.I'm rocking my baby, and babies don't keep. I'm so glad I read that, and I'm so glad I read yours. I think I need to take a much more relaxed approve to life!! I really needed to see this. Heather

9. Stacy
    Mar 04, 2012 @ 04:20:43

I am not a fan of the Proverbs 31 woman! There I said it out loud. I know there is a lot of good to model ourselves after in her, but we with our human tendencies have corrupted it. As you said, we too often compare ourselves to others and find ourselves lacking. I think of the Proverbs 31 woman as the Martha Stewart of her day…great, but really intimidating to the rest of us.

10. Nora Peevy
    Mar 04, 2012 @ 12:49:52

Love the ducks! I am a rebel pagan chick! I dig your message and understand you. My mother always said growing up you could have a beautiful house clean life or a beautiful life. Which do you think I chose? And still, am anticlutter, but also antilabel and anti being an architectural digest cold environment. I like life!Hopping for Weekend Creation.I have a short story, part two up, The Telling Place on my blog. Hop on over.-Norahttp://norabpeevy.blogspot.com/2012/03/serial-sunday-telling-place-part-ii.html

11. MrsP
    Mar 04, 2012 @ 14:56:49

You're not a rebel, just real. We're all there, girl.

12. melissac
    Apr 14, 2012 @ 11:24:55

Just read this and I can so relate!!! One of my biggest struggles is comparing myself to those around me. I see myself as an inferior Christ follower, wife, mom, teacher, and artist. Thank you for reminding me that to do so is not what God would have me do. I am wonderfully made for his purpose and thatvis all that matters !!! My focus must always be on him and pleasing Him not others or even myself!! Thank you so much!!! Many blessings!!!

13. getting.there.slowly.
    Apr 19, 2012 @ 09:54:14

🙂 So refreshing to hear from another gal who hasn't got it all together – and can admit it! I've a long way to go in learning to keep house (as my overloaded dining table will attest to), but it's good to remember that God doesn't expect us to have everything down pat!